GoKunming Forums

Warning: new traffic conditions - major changes

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

To those who drive in Kunming, please beware. The newest fashion in Kunming is to use both sides of the road. Yes, I know they already used to do this, but now they use both sides on any and all roads on ALL lanes including 2 + 2 lane roads (two-directional).

Please beware of blocked intersections and multiple ghost riders in your lane as oncoming traffic. They will not yield or move back to their own lane! And you have to make space to the far far right. Do NOT attempt to stop in your own lane because they will NOT stop before they hit you. They get thrills by playing a game of chicken. (no joke)

If making a turn at a traffic light, check if the lanes ahead you go into are free. If not, decide whether to wait or cross over and park on / next to the side-walk to wait for traffic to move. This applies also to the 2+2 lanes. Do not assume you have any free lane if your side of the road has 2 or more lanes. They may be already occupied by oncoming cars.

Pedestrian cross-overs are now used as U-turns. If there are cones (metal or plastic), they will push them with their car into the opposite lane and into oncoming traffic. If driving at night, please beware of (metal) cones on the road.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Any dead pig carcasses on the roads over there, or are they mostly in rivers?

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

No, actually Kunming is quite clean and free of carcassas. Only place you find dead animals is at the bird and pet market downtown. They tend to throw the animals that died (mostly of stress I think) on the street for the night-cleaning crew.

neddy (277 posts) • 0

China is a big, bad, scary place that is not neat, ordered, sterile, and bland, like my home of Salt Lake City, Utah, where everyone is white, Mormon, and the food is boiled meat with no salt. As a white, Western expat, it is my God-given duty to tell Chinese people how dirty and dangerous their culture is, and how superior mine is. But until they change to become exactly like me, I will hole up in my Think UK apartment and be terrified to go outside, or eat anything but McDonald's.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

my jeep seems to win all of the chicken games...good thing i welded on a heavy duty lower body and fenders. drive a tank, it's less stressful..

Related forum threads

Login to post