User profile: tigertigerathome

User info
  • Registered
  • VerifiedYes

Forum posts

Forums > Living in Kunming > Visa office on Toudong

@livinginchina, do you meet the criteria for the permanent residence card? If you do it might be worth applying. Permanent residence cards are actually attainable for mere mortals now, you don't need to be a captain of industry, diplomat, or research professor anymore.

Forums > Travel Yunnan > Flights arriving in Kunming

@Pete B. Looking at what @fabey posted. It would probably help to have on hand a copy of any documentation to show that you will be resident.

If it is for a job, get your employer to scan and email a letter to this effect, with an address where you will live (if that has been organized).
If for family reunion, get the family to scan email you a copy of the household ID, rental agreement, of the address where you will live. As well as a signed letter saying you will be living there, and a scan copy of the ID card of the person signing the letter.

You may not need these, and I am not saying that this will do the job, but it will go a long way to help baffling the bureaucrats into submission if they do start dithering.

Forums > Living in Kunming > Visa office on Toudong

In the past, I have heard of people being denied renewal if they left it to the last week. Since then I have usually applied 3 weeks before expiry, and it has usually taken two weeks to get the new visa.

At the moment things are quiet and processing time may well be a bit shorter, but I wouldn't risk it if I didn't have to. If I remember correctly the new visa was dated for one calendar year beyond the expiry date of the old visa, I didn't lose the weeks worth of cover. However, this was for a renewal at the appointed time, not an early renewal, as in the case in the above post. The last time I applied was May 2021.

Forums > Living in Kunming > Visa office on Toudong

As additional information to @livinginchina's list.
Ref. item 2. If you wife does not have a Kunming Hukou she will also need to bring her Kunming temporary ID and copies of that.
Ref. item 4. You need to get the passport photos from an authorized photo office, these produce a receipt with a bar code and your photo on the paper. This barcode is read by the PSB system. The photo office outside the Tuodong Lu building does this. The photo office for foreigners is in the outside wall, on the right hand side as you face the building, not the one on the corner of the building, it is about 10m further back.

Additional item. Your wife will need to write a letter of invitation, there is a standard form for this available in the visa office.


No results found.


Because of the Metro Line 5 opening in our area, we have just gained another 3 bus services in our area. We live in a area a little off the beaten track, before we only had one bus.
It may be worth regular commuters, who live near line 5, checking to see if they have picked up any new bus routes.

Yes. A schematic map is only useful to find your way on the system that is mapped. For most tourists and strangers to the system, a map that relates to what is on the ground (above) is much more useful.

I could be mistaken but the I thought that the metro lines used to be shown on Googlemaps. But not any more apparently.


No reviews yet