GoKunming Forums

living and working with Bai minority in Dali

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Why dont you give specific info about this project. Like the name, the place and the time this specific project was running.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

So the Gates foundation is a major funder or both individual projects and unallocated funds (basically administrative and other costs) for the CGIAR (a group of NGO's with the similar goals, but different focuses). Where I worked was in the financial part of WorldFish who performed a great many number of projects with the help of their funding. If you wish to know what WorldFish does, I encourage you to check out their site to see the excellent work done around the world, particularly in poorer communities:

www.worldfishcenter.org/[...]

Note that the scientific experts within CGIAR also help set international policy through the UN and through direct consultation with governments. Far from being evil or part of some big conspiracy, they generally work at a community level (where they do the work) right through to the international level.

I once had to get a laptop to one of these scientists/policy experts who had been working on a project in Africa digging aquaculture ponds and training locals, who then had to step on a plane to go to the Copenhagen meeting on climate change (after a 2 day 4wd ride through fairly hostile country). These are the sort of people and projects that are supported by big international donors such as the Gates foundation. Sure, they might do some stuff that isn't so hot and sometimes misguided, but lets not forget all of the great work they also support.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I'm not necessarily for or against NGOs in general, though one can argue that NGOs are essentially bandaid operations in an overall system that creates many of the problems they try to deal with. For example, why should anybody, such as Bill Gates, have control over such massive wealth and have the 'right' to decide whether or not to use it to 'solve' problems in the first place? Wealth and poverty virtually define each other.

CXCKinChina (3 posts) • 0

So this thread started out as an outreach or advertisement for foreigners interested in volunteering for a group who is focused on trying to maintain Bai minority culture in Dali and has somehow devolved in to a dispute over how certain things in this world are evil. Does anyone else feel embarrassed? As far as I can tell, a well meaning organization decided to use this platform to communicate with the local foreign community, and the majority of people either spend their time questioning the specifics and motives of this organization or completely ignoring the organization to go on some non sequitor rant about how the U.N. is evil. You stay classy, Foreigners in Kunming.

CXCKinChina (3 posts) • 0

Also, honestly, has anyone who has complained on this post done volunteer work, worked with an NGO, or possesses any personal experience on social work? Enough to make such an exaggerated umbrella statement that All NGOs are evil? If not, you could seriously consider getting off your couch and trying to find a better alternative to all this evil and stop trolling legitimate groups trying to help others.

Related forum threads

Login to post