GoKunming Forums

Why do miserable foreigners remain in China?

Karina17 (70 posts) • 0

Some people like me came here because they were interested in Chinese culture and got a job with a contract in China.
Then, once they are in China, they realize all the great Chinese culture is non-existent on mainland, and many Chinese people are totally ignorant about it (tea ceremony, traditional instruments...) and don't give a damn since their all life is focused on making money and taking care of their family.

Then, people like me wait until the end of their contract complaining about China because they are disappointed with this experience and fed up of getting food poison from Chinese food.

Don't worry, we gonna leave soon, most of the contracts here don't last more than a year. But I guess if you don't want to hear people like me complaining, you should avoid westerners spots, don't go to Sals, French Café or Moondog, stay with your Chinese friends and you won't be troubled by us.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Many Western people are totally ignorant about culture and don't give a damn since all their life is focused on making money.

What is western culture? Pubs and Bars, Watching sports on TV at the pubs, or watching sports on TV and beating your wife at home, and robbing and pillaging smaller countries.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

many people of all nationalities are ifnorant of culture, aka the masses. there are lower ends of evcery soceity. including headmasters who take young kids to hotel rooms with local officials. ignorance is universal.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Good thing I'm not "Westerner". I won't have to explain myself.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

No one has to explain themselves. Only those with a guilty conscience are the ones who are first to give excuses and explanations.

atwillden (109 posts) • 0

There are also plenty of Chinese people (and people of every nation) who emigrate and then spend their days in their new country bitching all the same, even though they spent lots of time trying to leave behind their old home. We're human—the grass can be greener on the other side... and some people just like to bitch.

And sidenote, plenty of people who are in China and have days of being miserable are not necessarily "nobodys" in their own country. Unless of course you buy into the logic that only nobodys come to China... but thats a bigger comment on China than it is on the people flocking to it.

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

We all have "Bad China" days. All of us can tell these tales over and over. In both groups, Chinese and Western there are crooks, cheats and many misunderstandings on both sides. How many have heard the chinese stories about bad foreigners? It is great to vent one's more frustrating experiences too.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.