GoKunming Forums

Looking for drama or theater group

Ifoundthetuna (370 posts) • 0

I am looking for an English theater or drama troupe. I think the kunming community is cool and I would like to join if there is something of that.

I really like acting. Although I have done my fair share of directing (not plays though) and wouldn't mind to help out a bit but mainly I'd just like to have fun doing some acting and performing.

So if anyone knows or wants to start one let me know. Looks like the KCT is not active anymore, and that is a real pitty.

bexkmg (4 posts) • 0

Any update on this a year later? If there's anyone out there who knows about participating in local Chinese and/or English theater and could post here, that'd be great!

Ifoundthetuna (370 posts) • 0

@bexkmg
Sorry, so far nothing new. I knew a bunch of people who did the KCT a few years back, left China or moved to other places. But if some of the old ones or new people are interested,....I still am!

Nordica is a good spot and it's a good idea, they have a lot of art going on there but they usually are more into offering a venue, not really that much about the HR. But that would be worth a try.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Nordica isn't worth your time. Any productions they do are set up for the Swedes and other Scandinavians students they recruit each year. Nordica will rent you their venue for your own play or production.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

i met a chinese girl who is an artist. she approached Nordica to display her art. they refused. ridiculous.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I don't understand the problem with the Swedes at Nordica.
Why was the refusal to display the art of the Chinese person ridiculous - why was she refused?

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

why is it ridiculous? because we're in FREAKIN' CHINA, dude. an art gallery in china can't accomodate a local artist? maybe her art sucks. i have no idea. i've never seen it. but i don't think it's because it sucks.

and anyway, let's be honest, art is totally freakin' objective.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I don't see how that, just because a person happens to be Chinese, that that means her art should be the art that is accomodated rather than someone else's, of whatever nationality - but hey, I wasn't there & don't know these folks very well.
I don't understand what you mean by saying 'art is objective' - sarcasm, perhaps? What's it got to do with Nordica's policies?
I'm not defending Nordica, I suggested it simply as a possibility for drama or theatre.

Related forum threads

Login to post