GoKunming Forums

Blocked-Banned-Censored

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Hope this isn't too sensitive a topis for a GoK forum. If the mods feel it is, remove away!!

I used to rely on the BBC website for my "world" view on Chinese news topics, but anything other than the headlines has been blocked now for a few weeks (for me at least). I wondered what alternative, unblocked western websites others use to get their news. Maybe you need to be careful how you suggest the sites??

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

guardian.co.uk

telegraph.co.uk (unless you subscribe and pay you can only access 12 full articles per month, however the main pages are unlimited access) seems to have wider coverage of stories from China.

For BBC it might help to use a non Google browser and search engine. The big G seems to get targeted more by the big C.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Sometimes the app version of the news site will work in China when the main site is down or blocked. The BBC news app on my Google Nexus works without vpn. There are also some consolidator news app like Fluent News that might work.

Also, for world news, I think Al Jazeera is underated. They will carry better news stories when all the rest show the same stuff.

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

Yep totally blocked without VPN, probably something to do with the big headline across main page I see when using the VPN talking about how dozens of HK pro-democracy protesters were arrested last night to clear path to government building!

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

BBC, GoogleNews, Guardian and telegraph will repeat and regurgitate the same MSM lies. Have no idea why anyone in their right mind would even consider these as sources for news.

Try watching news that is NOT owned by the Big 5 corporations if you want to hear real news and get the truth.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

So true. They get it from AP. They copy word for word the same lies and propaganda. Copy and paste. Just read the teleprompter and forget about using your own words. Ha..Ha. There are several Youtube videos that shows several TV news broadcast that say the exact same thing word for word. It's quite funny.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Edit: App not refreshing. Last refresh time was 12:50am, so guess China blocked this morning. Funny, at 12:50am HK protrest wasn't even in top stories section.

Related forum threads

Login to post