GoKunming Forums

Can any photo enthusiasts offer some advice?

Andrew_AWS (34 posts) • 0

I second the recommendation for a SONY NEX or similar small-body large-sensor camera. These have a sensor of the same size as most DSLRs, (or slightly smaller in the case of the 4/3rds format from Olympus/Panasonic), but the body is far smaller and more portable. If your camera is always with you, you're bound to take many more great photos: I know very few people who can be bothered to lug around their big, heavy DSLR all the time. You can use either lenses purpose-built for the camera, or (with an adapter) lenses built for SLRs. Also, unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you can swap lenses on 'bridge' cameras, which will limit you in the future.

Until I lost it, along with the contents of my bike's pannier bag somewhere on JianSheLu, I used a NEX-F3. flickr.com/photos/andrew_aws

It's similar to Dan's, but an older model, a lot cheaper, with a much inferior interface (buttons and dials), and no viewfinder. Viewfinders these days have been pushed to the expensive end of the market, but they're really useful.

Back in Europe/US you can get a great deal by buying a slightly outdated, secondhand body and then sticking on a quality lens. I guess, like Pierre recommends, you could go to Hong Kong and do the same thing. I'm not planning on going to Hong Kong just to get a (under 500EUR) camera - can anyone recommend options for secondhand cameras in Kunming or online?

aoor0708 (1 post) • 0

If you ever make it to Hong Kong for your camera and lenses, stay away from the camera shops on Nathan Road.......tourist only....
Head for a real camera shop like Photo-Scientific, or Miramar.
Good luck

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

can anyone recommend options for secondhand cameras in Kunming or online?

amazon.cn might have secondhand cameras.

or you can try craigslist, but there's no craigslist for kunming.

laoshi19 (30 posts) • 0

I've got an excellent Canon 5D MKII and a 24-105 F4 L lens for sale here in Kunming.

This rig is excellent and does everything you'll need. The lens is perfect for everything from wide angle to portraits and short telephoto. If you want a full frame 35mm DSLR you cannot go wrong with this setup.

It's a little more than one year old. Price is negotiable but not cheap.

Canon has great "L" lenses. Anyone who says different probably hasn't used them.

The quality is excellent.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Samsung NX300 is selling for 3000 RMB with kit lens on amazon.cn.

Similar to Sony NEX-7, but less than half the price. And it's a beautiful design.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

I saw a dude last week advertising a camera, nearly new. super dooper compact. turns out that you can now get them for less new than he was offereing. always check comparable prices on amazon back home first and it is always worth waiting for a visa run to hk.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Yeah, I'm the guy selling that camera. It is practically brand new. If you see it, you'll know. Possibly less than 10 photos snapped on it indoors.

Also, I love Amazon, but add some international shipping (if the Amazon seller even ships to China) and see what the price is. In addition, I clearly purchased mine a while back at full retail when it first came out, and paid 10% in California sales tax, and bought a 4gb sd card for it (off Amazon of course). Only reason I'm selling it is; turns out I'm not a photo enthusiast.

1200 rmb if anyone wants to buy it in next few days. Otherwise I'll happily just give it to a friend or keep it lying around at my flat.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

The camera is only a box to attach the main component, the lens. The lens is everything.
The above is based on DSLR..

As for your needs DSLR is going overboard. Tiger Tiger basiclly sumed up the most important points.

Once you have the camera buying expensive toys and accessories isn't the solution, creativity is the solution.

Related forum threads

Login to post