GoKunming Forums

Americans who move to China, only to eat nothing but McDonald's.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Tommann, it doesn't matter that other places have better burgers.

Everyone has eaten at McDonald's somewhere in the world. And the reason they go out of their way to make the burgers taste exactly the same everywhere in the world is because they know that people have cravings for specific tastes.

Part of it may also have to do with the fact that most people have eaten there as children. I'm not surprised that Tallamerican mentioned his father used to take him there. There's a strong connection in the depths of the subconscious mind with family memories. Often happy childhood memories with family eating there.

I get a McBrick when I eat at McDonald's, but I still need to stop myself from eating there.

Burgers and fries and ridiculously easy to make at home, by the way.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Oh - I would suggest that peoples metabolic systems are as unique as their personalities and race. Think about a Chinese person compared to a westerner, they have certain traits quite common to Chinese people, just as us westerners also share traits. This is true of their physical characteristics, personality characteristics or social characteristics. Beyond that people also have individual personalities different to others.

It stands to reason that our bodies metabolic systems are just as different in the same way. That the process of evolution and adaptation that makes a Chinese person dark haired/brown eyed/small nosed etc also means that they can survive off different foods.

No blobbles, your science is flawed.

Either food is harmful for your body or beneficial. Your body does not 'adapt' to harmful foods.

Some people can smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day their whole life and not get cancer. But they are the exception rather than the norm. And it doesn't mean their bodies have adapted in any way. It more likely means that they have sufficient healthy genes to ward off cancer. Same for Big Macs. I suppose it is possible for someone to eat that stuff every day, but not everyone who does that will get away with it any more than everyone who smokes can get away with not getting cancer.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

blobbles, when you said your entire system shut down, do you mean that you had massive organ failure, and were moribund? How do so many millions of people eat it daily without that?

blobbles, I have bad news for you. There is no such thing as evolution.

The food that was healthy for humans since the beginning of time is still healthy. Many modern-day illnesses are caused by 'foods' introduced into the food supply which the body simply will never adapt to or 'evolve' to be able to tolerate.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Two things spring to mind.
Firstly, the body can become tolerant of toxins, this is adaptation. Those that adapt better are more likely to pass on that gene.

Secondly, in the UK the Asian community (Indian sub continent) have 6x the national average rate of late onset diabetes. Suggesting genetic differences that have been attributed to traditional diets.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

@tommann

What you call "Chinese food" many of us consider just as ingredients. Chinese food would include the cooking oil, the msg, the chili oil, the water used to wash the vegetables and dishes, the storage facilities for the meat, the cleanliness of the cooks hands, etc.

Also, what you call "Chinese food" seems to be those ingredients cooked by you at home. The rest of us are probably thinking it's stuff served to you at a restaurant in Kunming.

Finally, truth be told, if you stay in Kunming long enough, you no longer consider diarrhea to be an illness, just another part of eating out.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

Alex, that is a good point. I will include the oil, the msg, and the chili, etc. Still, it is normal food for 1/5 of the world's population. It cannot be that bad, can it?

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

''Finally, truth be told, if you stay in Kunming long enough, you no longer consider diarrhea to be an illness, just another part of eating out.''

@AlexKMG Totally agree.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

tommann - can't sh*t, can't eat, random bouts of diarrhoea then long periods of nothing. Spewing up sometimes randomly. How do so many millions of people eat it without that? Their systems are different to mine. They can eat different stuff because for thousands of years they have adapted to eating different food.

Apparently evolution is a myth though, despite all scientific evidence to the contrary.

Magnifico, it appears that you accept that people are different and can have different genes/adaptations that make them more susceptible or hardy to toxins/stimulants etc. But you can't seem to accept that different peoples have different evolutionary adaptations. If they did not, then it would mean that Inuits who live on a high fat/meat diet with no grains could then go and live on wheat and rice with zero side effects. Or that I could eat exactly the same as my Chinese wife and suffer no side effects. Neither of these things are true. Hell, if its not true then the field of study known as nutritional adaptation is a bunch of baloney (I knew I could slip a decent pun in there somewhere!). But now this is the part where you tell me all scientists are liars again because they don't agree with you I suppose?

Related forum threads

Login to post