GoKunming Forums

Send Passport to Chengdu Consulate

Dr.Funk (3 posts) • 0

I need to renew my US passport, but I don't want to travel to Chengdu. I read that you can renew via a third party.

Has anyone done this before? Is there a service you recommend?

Hope someone can help me out.

zhulaoye (83 posts) • 0

I would recommend traveling to Chengdu as you only have to do it once every ten years. Embassies and consulates do not recommend having your passport mailed, and that is what will happen if you have a 3rd party from the consulate who comes here now and then take it there for you. If you take it up there you can be sure the process is all done correctly at the counter. One little mistake and then what? Also, they will give you your old passport back and you have can have it until time to pick up the new one. Mailing passports in China is risky business and the embassy/consulate will take no responsibility for a loss. And then what happens? You can't fly so you have to take a train or bus up there and back, maybe twice. A buddy of mine did it the way you are asking about. He sent it up via a consulate worker who came to KM, but they mailed it back. Problem was the local PO where they sent it kept telling him for two weeks it had never arrived. Finally he lost it and made the girl go check in the back. After looking she found his passport under a bunch or parcels. Those are things to consider. And Chengdu has much better food than KM anyway.

Dr.Funk (3 posts) • 0

Good points. Well, unless anyone has some service that they really recommend, I guess I'll head out there.

Thanks for the reply.

Quester (233 posts) • 0

Some of us don't have consulates even as close as Chengdu. For my country our closest one is Guangzhou. However I haven't had problems with the postal service in sending and receiving my passport. Perhaps I was lucky?
Also just curious, it was mentioned that without passport you can't fly, but don't trains now also require ID to book as well as during the trip? Or are there ways around that?

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

What I heard:

Some banks used to arrange passport deliveries for their clients (Chinese Citizens) to the US consulate. Unfortunately the consulate does not accept this anymore (of what I heard). A plane ticket doesn't cost that much and it's fast. ( Night train takes 24 hours, if tickets are available). I'd recommend calling the consulate before going so you know how many days it takes to get a new passport issued.

Dr.Funk (3 posts) • 0

I was told the renewal process will take around ten business days. Also, the consulate apparently only handles this sort of appointment on Wednesday and Friday mornings (at least from the email re: my appointment that I got from them).

Too bad about the banks. I was looking for a better option than a plane or train trip to Chengdu, in time and money.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

In 2005, I got a new passport in Beijing. It took about two weeks as new passports are no longer prepared at embassies. So you apply and it is electronically transmitted to the U.S. Then it is printed and sent back to China. I think all U.S. passports are now electronic, meaning a chip is embedded in the cover somewhere.

viborg (13 posts) • 0

Taking a ten day vacation to go wait for my new passport in Chengdu really would have to be a last resort for me.

Does anyone now know of agents in Kunming, Chengdu, or wherever, who can handle the new passport application process for me? I contacted the consulate, they said it's fine, if I can find an agent. Thanks.

Related forum threads

Login to post