GoKunming Forums

Missed Nobel Prize Winner

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

So I thanked GoK about a week ago for listing more events. Now I am face-palming myself. A Nobel Prize Winner gave a speech at YunDa. I only get to read about it after.

en.kunming.cn/index/content/2012-06/26/content_2997697.htm

I don't think GoK is responsible for posting every event at YunDa or Shifan Uni, but a Nobel Prize Winner giving a lecture here in Kunming!!! That should make it to the calendar right? Or was it invitation only? Or since it's science and not art, it doesn't qualify?

misfit (113 posts) • 0

that's not the first post about the lack of coverage of gokm, users maybe haven't understood this website is more a commercial operation, under the facade of city guide and laowai community tool of course....they haven't changed yet and they will not change soon, i don't think it's even management's fault, just this city is not ready for a real cultural life with all the connected networks, word of mouth etc...chinese they use their own channels that are not comprehensive anyway and foreigners are not integrated enough to get access even to those...
solution? just find few real motivated people, chinese and foreigners together who wants to create a real portal more into events and less into money, that means basically a big waste of time that kunmingers so far don't fell it's worth doing...

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

gokm posted (or someone posted) the SECOND operatic concert performance (no costumes - just the orchestra, soloists, and choir - of La Traviata, directed by Canada's Howard Dyck. Not too bad for a hick town.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

@AlexKMG, if it makes you feel better, the SOP for events that involves a dignitary is to provide maximum face to the host by having an controlled environment. That is, unbeknownst to the guest, everything he or she sees, touches, smells have been carefully crafted to give an sibilance of normalcy while in fact it all just an setup, much like the Matrix. The "audience" most likely were YNU students bussed from Chenggong campus and told to attend the lecture with pre-approved questions to be asked during the Q&A session by the best English speaking student so that the guest believes that the audience has a real interest in his lecture rather than being bored to death because they either can't understand English or just don't care and wouldn't be there unless they were forced to.

Therefor, if had you shown up, you represent an uncontrolled element that might bring the whole facade down and ruin the whole experience for the guest and caused major face damage to the leaders.

These things are almost never announced to the public ahead of time because they want to maintain a sterile environment and they can't do that if every Tom, Dick, and Jane came gawking at the event. So what they do is keep everything hushed until its over then make a big announcement to the public of the great feat they've just accomplished and patting themselves on the back.

invisible (17 posts) • 0

@misfit

You had the change to submit this event, as did anyone including the event promoters. Events, even bigger event with famous people have outside 1st tier city usually have shitty promotion, that is hardly the site's fault, but the event promoters'. Blame them.

Creating a portal that only means work and no money? Unless it's motivated by some political or religious doctrine it will not work.

misfit (113 posts) • 0

@ invisible
I'm not blaming the site, as I wrote, but the fact that organizers rarely contact gokm before an event should explain the level of influence of this website in the km cultural life..
Usually portal starts with the idea to provide a service, possibly an original one, and then after they gain credentials they can start earning money, that's actually the rule of business..
If instead you are interested in enhancing this portal maybe you should really think about a network of informers to really cover what's going on in town, a real agenda that would not just be a list of bars/restaurant/business who pay the ad,you should think of building a team that works proactively like reporters digging out channels and connections and not just as info collectors...if the idea is only guang gao as it seems to be then sorry, forget this post and keep on doing..

invisible (17 posts) • 0

@misfit

I can tell you for Chengdu, which usually has more cultural events than Kunming (although Kunming is catching up now). Even IF/WHEN you contact the venues (regularly) they don't sent in their stuff most of the time. It sucks, because you have to push them to promote themselves, basically begging them to make more people to know and come (and eventually gain reputation & increase business). I can assure that is a lot of annoying unsatisfying work.

But a lot of times there is no information available at all, especially events that are not primarily commercial like the one in question. Because then the venue and everyone is already paid, and they don't necessarily want a lot of people, just give face. And then you read about it the next day in the newspaper, and be like wtf how come I haven't heard about it?

Try finding a Chinese event calendar that covers all kind of events in Kunming (live rock, theatre, exhibition, dining, sport, etc.). Probably the only site that has more events listed would be douban (in Chinese), but that's about it.

LouieK (33 posts) • 0

Is the other website run by the local government? It may be valuable to start browsing both websites, as they each offer unique content. Seemed like a fun event.

misfit (113 posts) • 0

I understand invisible, it's a frustrating work and I know sometimes you feel it's not worth doing it...but the point is, if the newspaper knew about the event that means somebody told them to go there in advance...i'm not telling that's easy but if you try to set this target in your agenda you not only give a great service to the city but also might dramatically increase your business...try to "make friends" with local reporters, try to get into university, "cultural" and governmental associations, at least check douban, users qq zone etc whether there is something interesting..really imagine you are reporters, that might be pretty a challenging job for km or not? good luck :)

Related forum threads

Login to post