GoKunming Forums

Poetry in 12 languages at The Moondog!

Ian_Kunming (126 posts) • 0

We had poetry in 12(!) languages last night at The Moondog!

Hungarian, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Dutch, Turkish, Latvian, Swedish, French, Spanish, Chinese, German and English!

That was a great evening, thanks everyone for coming down, don't miss the next Poetry Night!

Ian & The Moondog

liliping (6 posts) • 0

What a wonderful evening! Hope the nxt Poetry Night (in 3-4 wks, right?) will be even more intercultural! 加油

Ian_Kunming (126 posts) • 0

The next Poetry Night will be on Sunday, June 24th @ The Moondog.

All kinds of Poetry in all languages wanted and welcome.

See you then!
Ian

johannesjohannes (57 posts) • 0

the next poetry night will be on thursday june 28th @ The Moondog.it is moved to thursday because of the play at nordica this sunday.
All kinds of Poetry in all languages wanted and welcome

BillDan (268 posts) • 0

"Hungarian, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Dutch, Turkish, Latvian, Swedish, French, Spanish, Chinese, German and English!"

Wow, what a coincidence, since I am highly fluent in everyone of those languages. Not only fluent but able to grasp the meaning of poetry as if I were a college degreed native speaker. Since most of my students seem to struggle with comprehending the difference between words like bored or boring I am sure they will have no problems listening to Sylvia Plath translated into Hungarian.

Did not know I could get into some fine Latvian poetry here in Kunming and can't wait to, er, hear that.

I went through a dark phase in life and actually read poetry at some coffee houses in Seattle. It was all pseudo-beatnik and Bohemian . All that reading one's poetry to a crowd is weird enough when it is your own language, but of what possible value would it be for someone to sit and listen to another person read poems in Turkish or Vietnamese when they do not understand how to say hello or goodby in those languages? Are people in KM just so desperate for some sort of "lofty" entertainment that they will do anything? Is this near the Noridca, the KM "art" hub? I went there for some music show and some Chiense kid sat and improvised on something with an XY touch screen, turning knobs and what have you, and it sounded like crap but everybody tried to act like they were so into this artsy fartsy performance, but all I saw were people on cell phones or ones like me, leaving.

Why not at least structure this in some way? There should be a rule that Chinese people cannot read poems where every line starts with the same word, like this:

love, blah blah blah
love, blah blah blah,

love, blah blah,
love, blah, blah blah,

love, blah,
love, blah blah blah
love, blah blah blah, blah
love, blah blah,
love, blah, blah blah,

love, blah, blah

and on forever. or as they say here, "and so on."

Related forum threads