GoKunming Forums

International Calling from Kunming

Smillz (31 posts) • 0

I use China Mobile- does anyone know if we can use the 12593 long distance code here in Kunming? The only thing I can find online says it only works for Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangdong.

If we can use it here, what are the rates, and can it be used for text messaging too?

Any light anyone could shed on this would be extremely helpful. I've been looking online for hours and still can't get any straight answers!

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Skype is the way to go. Best is a Skype account opened in your home country. Free calls to US 800 numbers other wise 2.3 cents per minute

Smillz (31 posts) • 0

Thanks for the Skype advice- I use it often for casual calls home, etc. However, I really want to know about an international calling code I can use with my cell phone- it is not always convenient for me to access the internet, and even when I can, we all know that the internet here isn't always the most reliable. I would prefer the convenience of just calling using my phone.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

I used Skype for a while, but then they inexplicably blocked my account as apparently I used 2 credit cards in 3 years and that "broke the rules". After having a running argument with them for a month (of which I pointed out it had that clause nowhere in their policy) they still didn't want to unblock it. OK, refund the money! Now I use google talk - all my gmail contacts are in one place and the quality is much better. I thought it would be as bad as skypes but its so much better - I guess google have a bigger network of (good) servers.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Hi Bobbles

I wonder what all the fuss is about with skype?

I couldn't open an account for my wife with my credit card.

Could it be 911?

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Occasionally, I have problems using a US credit card with a Chinese IP address. It gets detected by the seller and they decline the transaction. The bank's security is not even aware of my attempt. Digital River is a pain in the ass. Can't do it I was told. But there is a simple workaround, vpn. Except Digital river declines my pseudo US IPs.

Alternatively, PayPal works. Problem, like Skype, you got to get to the US PayPal. I get Skype credit using Paypal. I do not subscribe to any Skype deals. But, I have been using it for 10 years.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

The problem with Skype is they have a myriad of technical credit card rules which they don't tell you about anywhere on there site or in their terms of reference. Suddenly and inexplicably you create a red-flag which blocks your account or stops you from purchasing and gives you no reason why or how to change it. Then once you are "black listed" your only option (and this is straight from the words of their customer service) is to reverse any credit to the credit card it came from and cancel your account.

Go figure. If that's the way they want to play, I won't play with them :-)

Google chat didn't care when or how I got credit on my account, all I needed was a working credit card. OK, sweet.

suprise:) (3 posts) • 0

Hello Smillz,I used calling card before.It is very convenient,you could use your own phone.

At first,you call a number,and the number would tell you hang up.So it is no charge for this call.
Then the number will call you back,and tell you choose the language you want,and dail the number you want. For example,I want to give a call to USA,so I dail 001+757+123-3456.
This is the way to call.

There are many types of the calls,like 30RMB,50RMB.
0.15 Yuan per minutes to call North American and Erope as I remember.
And much cheapper to call Asia countries.This is the best way I have seen so far.
You do not need to pay every month,the card could use for several months.

If you need the card you could e-mail me:)
PS: I am not cheater

Related forum threads

Login to post