GoKunming Forums

Very good free Chinese self-study materials

boxerweak (7 posts) • 0

There is a new free online Chinese textbook at:

www.daydayupchinese.com

No registration is needed and the site is free.

The site has dialogs, example sentences, vocabulary development, grammar explanations, as well as practice activities. MP3 downloads of native speakers from northern China are available for some units.

In this first lesson we will learn the pronouns, the verb "to be", and the occupations "student", "teacher", and "businessperson".

After all, aren't we a little bit of all three?

The simple sentence pattern of pronoun + be + complement is a a quick and easy way to convey information about people - "He is an American", "They are students", "She is my coworker" etc.

Once you get in the basic form, it's simply a matter of plugging in additional vocabulary (which we will do in later lessons).

1.01 Pronouns

I

You

Nín
You

(respected)

He

She

It

你们

Nǐmen

You all

我们
Wǒmen

We

他们

Tāmen

They

Notes:

He and she have the same pronunciation in Mandarin, tā; in the written language they are differentiated by their characters, for he and for she.

To make the plural of any pronoun just add men to the singular form of the pronoun. Please note that the distinction between plural and singular is not quite as important in Chinese, often the plural will simply be implied by the context.

^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

As it is free, I have two questions.

Are we guinea pigs, to test the system? That is OK

Will we get pop ups? Half OK

Will we need to download anything or receive Malware or SPAM? Not OK.

onlyone (156 posts) • 0

I don't know about the boxerweak's link .For the Facebook page it's totally clean material with no spams .However the materials been uploaded to three or more free servers which could require to count some seconds to download .

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

I spend about two hours looking at the lessons. I think it is pretty good.

Lots of sentences and examples. A lot of work went into this.

Thanks

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Thanks for posting. I am looking for such stuff.

I am also looking for downloadable stuff so that I can work offline

Karina17 (70 posts) • 0

Hey, I open back this thread.

I am looking for self-study materials, free or not, preferably books.
I have seen a lot of books at the Mandarin book shop, but too many of them, I am kind of lost.

I will try to study by myself this semester, maybe take a language exchange partner to practice a bit, so I need materials designed for self-study.
Any advice ?

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

If you are not bothered about paying I would suggest Rosetta Stone. You can of course get a cracked version for free.
Otherwise there is memrise.com which is really good for visual learners. Fluentu and pop up Chinese. These are all free.

Related forum threads

Login to post