GoKunming Forums

Kunming Tap Water

Heinz (29 posts) • +1

I've lived here for 7 years. Drink the 19l bottled water delivered free for RMB 8 per bottle. Shower and wash laundry with *unfiltered* (gasp) tap water. Eat local food. Absolutely healthy, no rashes, no hair loss! China has many problems but not everything is poisonous or contaminated. We're lucky here in Yunnan anyway compared with most of the country. Too much worrying or neurosis is unhealthy in itself!

zhubajie (57 posts) • +1

"This might sound bizarre, but I have already accepted the fact that my life expectancy here in China is lower."

On the other hand, I seriously doubt one of my students will bring a gun to class and shoot everyone!

Bhavesh (6 posts) • 0

i for one nvr believed in drinking the tap water here. be it boiled or even for making soup or dishes.

for 10 yuan per huge mineral bottle water, i dont mind playing it safe.

jz my 2 cents.

@tigertiger,

" If it isn't the water it is the drivers.
If it isn't the drivers it is the lack of paramedics.
If the hospital doesn't kill me then some virus could see me off. "

how true indeed.... loved the drivers part the most :)

rawiron1 (4 posts) • 0

I used it for cooking, showering, and brushing my teeth while I was there and got the poops. Problem went away when I went on well water in Mile but came back when I went back to Kunming. I drank bottled water and if I did not have bottle water I had US military grade water tablets which made the water taste like pool water, yuck! My in-laws only drink bottled or boiled there so I took the hint but the bug got me and the wife anyway. I was eating Pepto tablets like candy and eating local medicines and potions. They made me eat this brown griddy stuff that worked pretty well and did not taste as bad as it looked. I was miserable when I had to judge that English competition in Kunming in the sun wearing a black shirt trying to squeeze back the bugs. lol

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Tip for using water tabs.
Let the water stand for 24 hours and the taste of chlorine goes away.

Ref poops. Unless it is the Beaver Fever (Giardiasis - protozoan) there are little black pills that taste like liquorice that work well for most stomach problems. Beaver fever, I have just let it run its course. Puke and poo for 24 hours. Even puke up water, and any meds.

bucko (695 posts) • +1

Paid 20k several years ago for a whole house treatment system. Never regretted it. I can drink from any tap, my water is 100% clean and safe. Washing and showers are great using balanced water. Clothes do not wear out nearly as fast. Well worth the investment.

anesti (1 post) • 0

May I ask if the 5 gallons drinking water bottle delivery service is still available in Kunming ?
And if yes how much are the costs meanwhile ?
How about the quality of the tab water, has anything changed ?
Last post was about 5 years ago and I'm planing to move to Kunming soon. Thank you guys for this thread. Find it a quite important "little" detail to consider when settling somewhere for a year or even longer...

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Anyone who's seen the inside of a pipe used over several years would never drink any water out of any tap.

How did this threat pop up the top after 5 years?

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

Tap water can be filtered and is then definitely drinkable (source: Direct from a French urban water system consultant who works for the Kunming government as well as other major cities in Asia) but a decent filtration system will cost 2000RMB or so and does need to be maintained. The filters on expensive systems may cost you 1000RMB/year to replace after the first year.

Most people get ~10RMB 20L bottles delivered. There are many providers of this service, just pick a nearby provider when you arrive.

Related forum threads

Login to post