GoKunming Forums

China Visa problems PLEASE HELP - URGENT!!!

AuroraCultural (17 posts) • 0

Ok, here is what you can do.

First, you need to call the PSB. It is possible to get a 3 months visa, usually it is easy to obtain if you come from US. Verify with them if your girlfriend has a 1 month or 3 months.

The number of the PSB in Kunming is: 301-7878

If you worry about your chinese level, you can give us a call and we will contact the PSB for you to clarify the situation. We could take a look at this visa first if possible.

If the answer is negative and she only got a 30 days entry, she will have to pay a fine for her overstay in China. We know some people are able to talk their way out of this for genuine mistakes. Usually, this fine can't be avoided but there is exeptions.

Aurora Cultural Bridge
86-871-5420236
Mob: 86-18064855942

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I have negotiated down a fine from 500/day to 500 in total.

I have also know others to do this. However, I was in Shanghai at the time.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I have negotiated down a fine from 500/day to 500 in total.

I have also know others to do this. However, I was in Shanghai at the time.

mehnyaa (52 posts) • 0

by the sound of it, i am pretty sure they gave her a 3 months visa. If it is stated on the visa that it is a 3 months visa, i think you needn't pay any fine at all. She is here legally for 3 months, as stated on the visa.
Just stand on that and they shudn't give you any problem.

Hammerhead (7 posts) • 0

According to the OP, the visa expires "on the 20th of this month".

1. Tourist visas given out in SE Asia, regardless of where YOU'RE from are often for a duration-of-stay of 30 days. I'm inclined to think that's what she has. As many of the above posters pointed out, the VISA is good for a period of time, but you may only stay in the country XX number of days, either 30, 60, 90 or 120.
2. The part of her visa that "expires on the 20th of this month" is exactly where you read the validity of the visa, NOT the amount of time you are allowed to stay in the country. No Chinese tourist visa tells you which day you have to leave the country. Chinese tourist visas tell you what period of time you may enter the country (in other words the period of validity of the visa), and then how many days you may stay after you enter. Its up to you to do the math and know which "day" you have to leave the country.

That said, I have met border guards at the airport who had a hard time doing that math, so it is possible that you got one who couldn't and you are within your valid duration-of-stay. But from the sound of it, I'm guessing that's not the case.
Always read your visa carefully. When you get a visa, read it and understand it. When they stamp your passport, read what the stamp says. There's no excuse to overstay when its written in English right on the visa.
And yes, the fine is negotiable. Best to handle it sooner rather than later, so best to be nice, plead ignorance, smile and hope for the best.

EnglishTeacher (101 posts) • 0

@luke1803
Did your girlfriend resolve this already? I think we would like to know the outcome, at least I know I do. We're all cheering for her.

mehnyaa (52 posts) • 0

Nah, I have white and Asian friends who are on a ONE year visa, 3 months visa etc.... And these visas were obtained either in SE Asia or in their home country. So, it is not impossible that your GF was given a 3 months visa.
As far as i know, it is not fixed that a person is only granted a 30 day Chinese visa when applied in SE Asia.

The type of visa will depend on what the applicant had applied for as well as the kind of visa the CHINESE EMBASSY is WILLING to grant to the applicant regardless of what the applicant had applied for.
Eg; A friend who is on a one year visa had to leave China quarterly ( another friend half yearly- it all depends on the VISA type) and re-enter the country. This is part of the requirement for the one year visa given. If they do not leave the country, they will be fined and have their visa revoked. THere are some who do not have to leave the country at all during the validity of the VISA.
So you need to find out, whether for the 3 months VISA that was given to her,does it require her to leave the country monthly but she can re-enter again??? every 2 months??? If she is required to do so but did not, then she had violated her visa. HOWEVER, if she is allowed to stay for the whole 3 months without having to leave the country during this period, then she is fine. Probably she had to do some visa run ( leaving the country then coming in again) every month and she is not aware of that.
Best to make sure what is really on the plate!!!
All the best!

aiyaryarr (122 posts) • 0

luke1803,

A few years ago (about 4?), if an USA national got a China multiple-entry visa for whatever time limit, he/she can stay for as long as the entire visa time limit without leaving China. But that has changed since then and visas now have added stay limits indicated for each of the multiple entries. Currently, there are 30, 60, 90 or 120-day stay limits, depending on your application and where (the country/city) you applied, but a 180-day stay limits are rarely granted).

As tigertiger's first post above pointed out, your gf's visa could very well be a 3-month visa with multiple entries but as with all visa types, each entry has a maximum stay limit. Check the 3-month multiple entry visa to see the stay limit of each entry. If it indicates a 30-day stay limit, then she has over-stayed and she is in violation and need to suffer the consequences - 500RMB/day times the number of days overstayed and good luck with the negotiation.

BTW, there are also a single entry visa and a double-entry visa (for USA nationals), all with a specific valid use time limit and specific stay limits. But the Chinese authorities will not grant such visas if your passport expiration is less than 6 months from the visa application date.

Lbones (27 posts) • 0

As far as I can remember if you received the visa in Laos and you are American it is for 30 days. Good Luck!

no way (104 posts) • 0

luke, it would seem the gf screwed up. outside of the usa,
'merkans usually get a single-entry 30-day visa. (sometimes
a multiple entry if'n ya gots prior chinese visas.)

the L-visa (tourist) is pretty darn clear. in english. you say

she be a gonna be a ringrish techR? good luck. hope it not be

readin' complehenshun.

line one:

Category: L (for la touriste)

Entries: how many go-innies.

line two:

Enter before: last day can be used for a go-innie
DURATION OF STAY: how long be in china on each go-innie.

line three:

Issue date: date of la issue

the touriste visa is usually valid for 90 or 180 days from date

of issue. my multiple entry is valid for 180 days, i suspect a

single entry would be valid for 90 days.

you said she got it about three months ago? expires on the 20th?

well, i'll bet ya dollars to cardboard-filled-baozi that she has an
issue date of MAR 20. duration of stay is 030. enter before is
JUN 20. she arrived in china on or about MAY 12, when the

stay-here clock started tickin'. she would gotta leave by (about)
JUN 12, or she has overstayded.

Related forum threads

Login to post