GoKunming Forums

RC Aircraft people

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Anyone out there flying RC aircrafts???

I've been flying RC since 1974 in Canada, on and off, and I still fly RC gliders in Kunming since 2008, and soon nitro fuel aircrafts.

I've brought over some gear from Canada and eventualy will bring over some more.

I can also teach how to fly RC.....

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

DId you see the gizmodo article on RC'ers playing chicken with wind power turbine blades? Just don't play near the airport - it's BOUND to attract unwanted attention from public security.

In Beijing - one of the college campuses was banned from using wifi cuz of the proximity to the airport...go figure.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Laotou...
Could be expensive with a hit on those blades..

On you tube they have RC planes wizzing by a guy with a shotgun!!! Skeet shooting RC style..

In Baoshan I had the missfortune to fly my glider, looking for a thermal, over a military base...the first soildier on foot with the dogs showed up and returned...then the higher official in a jeep came to see and returned.....
The third time 2 jeeps with high ranking officials came to see the foreigner with the (spy plane)
I think he was the top official, he had half his suit in medals...

After I willingly showed my glider inside and out and told them I understand it's just their job to verify such a situation they appologized and he shook my hand...wow ..how cool is that!!

So now I try to inform myself of possible military areas before I fly..

seahorse62 (141 posts) • 0

Have you checked prices at RC planes here in KM? How much would it cost to get started, and how difficult is it to learn to fly. This might be something fun to do with my son. I would certainly be interested if you are going to be in KM awhile and willing to teach.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I am not an RC flyer, but an RC sailor.

If you are just starting out, buy something basic and cheap. Because you will crash a few times and many basic beginner models are designed to come apart on impact. Some models almost glide by themselves, and so are easy to control for the novice. You don't have to have a petrol engine. I believe the 'Park Flyer' class of models is popular. These have electric motors.
The common pitfall is to buy something above your current skill level. And this only leads to frustration and disappointment and lots of crashes, and bigger bills.

Your start up costs should be low, but don't forget about the radio. If your plane does not have 6 channels, you don't need to fork out for the more expensive 6+ channel radio sets. I think a basic 4 Channel FM transmitter/receiver set will cost about 1200 rmb. You need to add this to the price of the model plane. But your radio will last you for life.

Not sure how much planes are, have a look on taobao.com

Related forum threads

Login to post