Keats School


Driver's license test materials

cathryn (3 posts) • 0

Hello, I want to take the English driver's license test in January in Kunming. Does anyone have a copy of the English test that they're willing to share with me?

Also, does anyone have any advice about how to go about this process in Kunming? I'll be on a six-month L visa (visiting relatives), will that be a problem? Do you get your license on that day, or do you have to wait two weeks? Thanks for any advice you can give!


Bernie (101 posts) • 0

I didn't do this myself, but I've done it in the past -- it's my information (and I stand to be corrected) that if you're just on a short visit you may drive here with an International License. You must obtain this in your home country before coming here. These licenses are usually obtained from an automobile association such as the AAA or RAC.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

I was told that L visas cannot have licences...?? the guy at the visa office told me a worker's visa or residents qualifies..

Terry (7 posts) • 0

I am pretty sure that China does not recognize the International Drivers least from the USA. There is a list on the back of the IDL that states which countries recognize it and China is not on there. THey may have changed the laws and it may be different in each province but all you had to have two years ago was a visa and be registered at you local police station. Let me know what you find out, I would be interested to know.

aandt (32 posts) • 0

I took the test this past spring and had to order the test study material from Beijing. I found someone in one of the expat forums who was selling the study book published by FESCO. It was very helpful. There is someone here who is running a test preparation class which is usually held once a month I believe. You can call TenWest school for more info 5747722. I did not use them because I did not want to pay the 450 kuai class fee... but they guarantee pass or let you access there materials again to review if you do not.

piers (144 posts) • 0

Pretty sure Terry is right - in China only Chinese licences are recognized.

Did the test 2 years ago. The testing center is pretty far out of town down near the huge furniture superstore (De Cheng Jia Ju Shi Chang). You need to bring your licence from your home country, lots of passport photos (6+), passport, translation of licence and photocopies of every document including the visa page in your passport and police registration document.

The test is a bit of a procedure. You have to run around the building to various offices for health inspecton document submission etc.

The test itself was fairly easy. When i did it there were 100 questions and to pass you need to score 90+. At the time there was only one version and it was a paper test - i hear this has now changed and you would have to do it on a computer. Some of the translation into English was horrible (i saw two different translations of the same question with the word 'narrows' substituted for 'widens') We asked the examiner to clarify and she told us the correct answer! They may be more strict nowadays.

if you pass you get the licence that day.

Brian (17 posts) • 0

I have tried to take the test twice in Kunming and was not able to pass either time. The computer based test randomly selects questions from what I understand to be a database of about 1000 questions. So each test is different. I have not found the staff at the facility to be helpful. I was not permitted to see what questions I missed after either attempt. A friend and I discussed the test for about 45 minutes with one of the supervisors, but he was unwilling to help us aquire any study materials or admit that there might be some translation issues with the test (THERE ARE MANY).

If you've discussed this test with many people, you have probably heard about the ridiculous mechanical questions and the health question relating to what to do if you are in an accident and someone's intestines are coming out (the correct answer is that you should cover them with a bowl and wrap a cloth belt around the bowl in case you're curious). I have taken the class at TenWest school, and while it is somewhat helpful, it does not cover all the questions that could be on the test. According to the testimonials, some people have taken the class and found it helpful for passing the test. Of the five people I know (incl myself) who have taken the class, none have subsequently passed the test that I know of.

International licenses are NOT valid in China.

The international treaty regarding international licenses was signed on September 15, 1949. Since China did not officially become a republic until October 1, 1949, they were not able to be included when the treaty was signed. It does not appear that any steps are being taken to include them now.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be an easy solution to this problem. Outside of establishing residency and trying take the test in another city, questionably legal services (one of which is listed under the 'services offered' section of this site) offer to obtain a license for you via their sources for about 5000 kuai (vs. the 260 or so it costs you to get it at the license office here).

Good luck. And if you find any new information that would be helpful, please let us know!

chinadriving (2 posts) • 0

China driver license and china visa extension service

hongkong zhongde is a professional company to apply china driver's license for foreigners, taiwan,hongkong,macao citizen and who hold Chinese passport.It only takes 15-20 working days to get it and we can apply it with any visa.

We also provide the service to extend China visa for foreigners in China.
L visa to 3/6/months F visa (0/1/2/m entry)
F visa to 3/6/months F visa (0/1/2/m entry)

if you need it, Please contact us for detail.
Phone No:13902874789
Msn:[email protected]
Email:[email protected]

Macgyver (8 posts) • 0

I am having tourist visa with 60 days per entry (multiple 2 years visa) and having dual licenses. Can I apply for the driving licence? Do I need to get the temp address (where & how do I get it)? Where do I take the driving test?

littlepoem (4 posts) • 0

Hi all, i just got my china drivers license last week, on a tourist visa that just had 2 weeks left. Took me 3 tries to pass. You have to have 2 pictures (might have been more), copy of your police registration paper and original, translation of your valid license (with certification chop.) and... i think thats it. Pay to register with all the info then you pay 60yuan to do the test twice. If you go early, you can fit in two test in a day. So you can fail once. You can skip the line up and go direct and tell them you want to do it in english. They actually also have the test in russian/french/korean and some other languages but only english and chinese have study material - which is really badly translated and you will have to memorize! It doesn't tell you why, it just IS. You have to score 90 out of 100 and if you fail, the next time could be 100 new questions. I have the test questions in english, email me [email protected]

Login to post Register to post