i2 International Institute of Education


Health Insurance

piglet44 (11 posts) • 0

Did you get health insurance before you arrived in Kunming from your home country or did you get something locally and if so what?
We are planning on coming for 6 months or maybe longer. What would be the best thing for us to do?
My husband does have a few chronic health issues so we are rather concerned about this. Thanks

YuantongsiYuantongsi (716 posts) • 0

I have a policy with a British company William Russell. They seem Ok and covered our child birth costs here in KM and Oz no problems, so far we have never needed them for anything more serious.

The company ask you to fill in a form when you join with any pre-exsiting health issues, then they state in your policy that you cant claim for them.

In general KM is quite cheap for basic doctor visits, a few hundred rmb, BUT if you are hospitalised then the bills pile up rapidly and without insuarance it can start to become very expensive.

aiyaryarr (122 posts) • 0


Kindly advise where & how to secure a William Russell healthcare insurance policy in Kunming. Thanks.

Alternative suggestions for healthcare insurance (for a foreigner on a visitor's visa in Kunming) from anyone will be very much appreciated.

DaMiao (66 posts) • 0

I have TravelGuard World Wide Health. Haven't had to use it yet,thankfully, but when I called to inquire about going to the hospital with a GI issue, they were nice enough and preauthorized the visit with no hassles. Their rates are pretty reasonable and depending on the policy that you choose, it includes air evac to your home country in the event of serious illness or injury.That's something you definitely need to think about here as the hospitals in Kunming are definitely not up to western standards. I've visited a few of the facilities here and would have to be unconscious to let them do more than apply a bandaid. The policy can be paid for month to month and will cover you for visits out of China and for a month after your final return to your home country.

aiyaryarr (122 posts) • 0

DaMiao, Thank you for the prompt response. Can you give me the contact info for TravelGuard World Wide Health? Can I buy the policy from an agent or online from Kunming?

DaMiao (66 posts) • 0

1.715.345.0505 (International Collect)
World Wide Health is the only option you can purchase once you're abroad. I found that the best option money wise is the no deductible one. The rates really don't go down in proportion to the deductibles.Make sure to get the sports rider if you participate in sports where there's a serious chance of getting hurt,ie: skiing, mountaineering, football, diving, etc.
Good Luck - Hope you never need this stuff!

aiyaryarr (122 posts) • 0

Thanks Beni-W and DaMiao.

Having "med evac" home in case of a major problem is important, since I agree the med facilities in China is a major concern. For that matter, most people even over-rate Hong Kong's medical standards & practices. Two years ago, I had a urinary track infection and one of the "top" specialist in HK's Central District was not up to par or even aware of the current tests or advice. The HK doc scared the daylight out of me by hinting it may be the big "C" and recommended some expensive & invasive procedures & tests. I had to call my NYC doctor, who, based on the symptoms I described over the phone, gave me the proper advice, gave me peace of mind, and saved me thousands of (US) dollars.

DaMiao, you're absolutely right, we buy all types of insurance with the hope of never ever having the need to use it!

Login to post Register to post