GoKunming Forums

Alternative places to visit in Yunnan.

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • +1

I want to garner a list of interesting or beautiful places in Yunnan that have not yet been overwhelmed by tourists.

For some of us who have been unable to travel elsewhere in the last year. In the past I have visited several places in Yunnan, some I have no wish to re-visit because of over commercialization and crowds. I am also sure that there are many other 'famous' places that I would not want to visit for the same reasons. I know that there are many other beautiful places that are off the beaten track that have maintained their original charm.

If you know of such places like this, please share in a post the name of the place, where it is near, and why it is worth a visit.

Looking forward to learning about some interesting locations.

fanghuo (14 posts) • +3

I suggest Chenghai Lake (程海) located southeast of Lijiang. I've wanted to visit for some years, was held back partly by the long drive from Lijiang, around 3 hours. But a new road is supposed to open in Jan 2021 that will reduce the drive to roughly an hour. Which probably means an increase in tourism, so I want to get there this year. The lake is reportedly the fourth largest in Yunnan. There is some info about the area on the internet, but apparently no mention in the standard printed travel guides. Claim to fame: one of only three lakes in the world where Spirulina occurs naturally.

Wiklipedia entry (very short)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenghai_Lake

Better info:
wondersofyunnan.com/blog/posts/top-9-lakes-yunnan.

Gokunming articles:
www.gokunming.com/[...]

www.gokunming.com/[...]

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • +1

I just remembered I went to this place a couple of years ago. Jizushan (鸡足山)Chicken's Foot Mountain, is very interesting for temple lovers with many temples, as it is an important Buddhist site. One of the temples very high on a mountain pinnacle. There are lots of other temple complexes as you go up the mountain.

It is very busy during religious festivals. Hence there are many hotels and guest houses. It is very quiet at other times of year.
There is a very long bus ride up the mountain, or an even longer hike. The village is at 1900m altitude. Warning, the main temple is 3240m altitude. The air is thin. There are also many great walks in the area.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Jizu
Jizuzhen, the village, is about 80km due east of Dali old town.

Related forum threads

Login to post