GoKunming Forums

Timing of return to Kunming

gbtexdoc (218 posts) • +1

I am a retired US physician who has lived in Kunming for the past several years. Went home in late-January to try and avoid the virus. Have remained in good health, but am missing Kunming, my friends, my apartment, my old neighborhood.

Trying to figure out the best timing of my return. It’s now possible to buy US to China plane tickets, even though flights are fewer and more expensive.

Are quarantine-on-arrival regulations still in place for Kunming? Would I be required to go to designated hotel, or could I just go to my apartment?

Any other factors I should consider in planning my return?

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments or suggestions.

SpartansSpartans (184 posts) • +1

Get that Wallet ready they will send you to a hotel near the Expo Garden where you will have to fork out 3200+Yuan to stay there for at least 14 days and will be woken up early in the morning and evening for tests every single day and won't be allowed to leave your room.Bring vitamin D because there won't be a drop of sunlight in 14 days.

Plus the food sux, one tiny meal a day, and you cant cook inside your room. Menu can be ordered but it is not good and it's expensive, take at least 4k RMB for the whole ordeal and you will have an idea what prison feels like since u can't leave your room not even to go to the lobby.
No you can't go to your apartment, nice try. You are approached at the airport and taken by hazmat guys directly to the hotel on a plastified bus/van.

And that is if they lifted the travel ban, which I dont think they did.
But then again, they might need to extort more foreigners since it's been a while they had any ''guests''.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • +1

Those US to China flights are only for Chinese nationals returning (who then enter quarantine). No foreigners allowed into China at this time.

Haali (1178 posts) • +2

Spartans' information is not entirely accurate. Several of my friends/colleagues did quarantine in the hotel near the expo garden and said it was reasonably comfortable and they could get food from the hotel menu or other places delivered. But that is all fairly irrelevant because at the moment you can't come here as Ocean and AlPage said.

Thank you. I researched it yesterday in several other places as well, and it seems clear that it is too early to even think about returning.

Having your "boots on the ground" input has focused my planning. Appreciate all the good help.

bucko (695 posts) • +2

I aam in the exact same situation. Been stuck in USA since late Jan. My return flights have been cancelled 2 times and I now have a 3rd flight schedules for July 1st.

I just want to go home!

I hear you, @bucko! Hope that flight works. Will be interested in following your progress.

Related forum threads

Login to post