GoKunming Forums

Not-too-touristy Yunnan traveling

b-rod (3 posts) • +2

There are many places in Yunnan that are off the beaten track, especially in Western Yunnan. However, the less tourists there are, the more difficult it will be to travel there. If you're willing to travel for long periods of time by bus, then you will be able to experience many areas that aren't completely run over by tourists.

Stevula (16 posts) • +1

B-rod, do have an example or two of a place you have in mind? How long is "travel for long periods of time by bus"?

Also, since a lot of people have mentioned Guizhou, I'm now having trouble deciding between Yunnan and Guizhou. Since we're only there for around 3 weeks, it's probably best to pick one or the other, right? Can anyone give some comparisons of the two provinces to help us decide?

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

After traveling to about 90 cities over many years, I can understand how long timers feel the good travel days are gone. I pretty much agree.

In Beijing, the is a company, China Cultural Center, that does tour which are pretty good. Another is Wild China. CCC is low budget but good while WC is high cost four/five star corporate level.

Check their websites for ideas and itineraries. Keep in mind travel between points is slower and troublesome than on a tour. But if you are clever and have the time you can save money.

www.chinaculturecenter.org/travel/theme.php?themeid=1

www.wildchina.com/china-destinations

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Three weeks you can explore both Guizhou and Yunnan as they are next door provinces with plenty of connections via rail, bus, and now high speed rail. Also, Guizhou is a much smaller province than Yunnan. In theory, you could start from Yangshuo, Guangxi and then make your way west through Guizhou. Yangshuo is touristy, but it's still nice and makes a good base start camp. Renting some bikes, you can get to the surrounding karsts and villages and get away from the tourists, though technically, you'd be exploring Guangxi.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Slash the number of venues by half. Ok, silly statement because I’ve no idea how many are envisaged during your three weeks. I’ve been repeatedly told that 5 days in Yuangyang is 4 days too many. However, this is going to be my one and only lifetime opportunity to see the terraces and I’ve planned two venues in that area.

It’s not just a box ticking visit and I want time to explore, photograph and enjoy the experience. Also, things invariably don’t go according to plan and extra time in fewer venues equals less stress.

kingofthekerb (131 posts) • 0

1 day in yuanyang is definitely enough. it's turned into a nasty tourist trap though, for equally impressive terraces and no tourists try finding a bus to jia'yi, should be an hour to 90 minute ride from honghe town.
west yunnan has many anonymous towns that u can just do short bus trips to from ... ximeng, for example. or go north/north west from meng hai in xishuangbanna

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The terraces are most spectacular during rice planting, when they are full of water, and reflecting sunrise/sunset. In June the rice will be well grown and water effects will not be visible. The terraces will still be picturesque, but once you have a handful of typical terrace shots you pretty much have captured the spirit of the place.

Stevula (16 posts) • 0

What do people think about going to the Nujiang valley to avoid tourists? Do you think going straight from KM to Nujiang (maybe stop in Dali for a night) and heading north would make for a good trip? I would hope to make it up to Bingzhongluoxiang. Would I be missing out on too much if I don't explore TLG, areas near Lijiang, Zhongdian, Deqen, etc.?

Related forum threads

Login to post