GoKunming Forums

Weibo users

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

The problem with this is that soneone could hack you and pretend to be you and post things. Next thing you know the gument is knocking on your door. The gunment can even plant things

so they can lock you up. I too agree that this is the downfall of Weibo.

redjon777 (560 posts) • -1

@liumingke1234 The problem with technology in general is being hacked. Whether it's your bank acc, email etc it's all going to cause you trouble when you get hacked.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Further to what redjon said about anonymous posting. When you consider the 'curse of facebook', where people have been sanctioned or fired because of something that they posted, with things like Wechat, etc. the risk of posting something that gets you into trouble (maybe years later) is real. Self censorship may not protect you from a shift in policy, or personal circumstances, in the future. Example, look at the attempt to allow agencies to identify people who post to, or just visit, anti Trump websites.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

My concern about this kind of monitoring is not about state spying on me, but not trusting that they have professional and responsible people doing it. Who knows what kid they have doing the spying, or that the data does not end up somewhere else.

Weibo is too big in China to end to this, especially since obviously any other app trying to take its market share will face the same restrictions.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

More good points. When the system starts living its own life. Like in many totalitarian societies. Once you get by someones mistake in there, then you aint get out. Try to clean you out, and you get even more in there. And when paranoia gets in the system, then things get messy.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

JanJal wrote: "My concern about this kind of monitoring is not about state spying on me, but not trusting that they have professional and responsible people doing it"

In some cases even this on purpose, it has a good scare effect. And works well, people silence very fast. :)

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Here's one laughable example case from August this year from Weibo stream of CGTN (previously CCTV News)

2017-08-11 19:30
China's top social media sits including Baidu, Tencent, Weibo, are under an investigating over failing to comply with strict laws which is required to ban violent, obscene or deemed offensive content to the Communist Party[...]wiping out a combined 1.3 billion US dollars worth of stock between Weibo and parent firm Sina Corp.

2017-08-11 22:21
correction: China's top social media sites, including Baidu, Tencent and Weibo, are under government investigation for failing to comply with laws which ban violent and obscene content.

That mess up showcases both the reasons for requiring real name registrations, and the entity the users utimately are supposed to be responsible to. It's not the Chinese public and not the Chinese state, but the party.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

it is always about the party's needs. the party needs stability to maintain the postition of the party. stability = economic, social, political, etc.

Related forum threads

Login to post