GoKunming Forums

Civilized Kunming

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • +1

@alexkmg
True. the best thing about the "civilisation" for me has been the repair of 3-4 roads I often take whose potholes used to shake my e-bike to bits. Now asphalted flat. Bliss.

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • 0

Supposedly 北区 Northern Kunming has been flooded to the windshields of cars, as well as many parking basements in the city... today or tomorrow would be a disaster for the anticipated Beijing inspections.

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

I heard two people drowned last night, after driving their scooter to a few meters deep water in middle of road.

Something akin the dip on Beijing Lu where it goes under the railway at old north railway station, which was also fully flooded in the morning.

nnoble (889 posts) • +1

I counted over 20 officials/community support workers on one single junction at Beichen ensuring pedestrians crossed the road safely and yet in a known flood spot two people allegedly drown.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • -3
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

Very sad people died but what would you be doing out in a storm on your bike for? Not only that but driving it into deep water.

Darwinism at work there.

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

Apparently this occured within 1km from the people's home, so could indeed expect them to know the place.

One adult and a child. Who knows - could have been returning from hospital or whatever unavoidable business.

GracieMei (34 posts) • +1

I woke up yesterday to my street being completely flooded and my electricity and water being shut off. Our apartment complex was using emergency power and only had one of our three elevators working. Now, the streets are cleared and the power and electricity are back on. Overall, I am impressed with how quickly this flooding was dealt with. I watched from my balcony as police officers put stepping stones out so that people could walk from a sidewalk to cross the street without getting soaked. I wasn't as impressed with how they directed traffic (or rather the lack of direction).

So sad to hear that two people died!

bilingualexpat (219 posts) • +1

If we want to be honest with each other. The "civilized" money could be better spent on drainage/sewage revamp. Kunming has been flooding for decades... and certainly susceptible to more flooding in the future.

Related forum threads

Login to post