GoKunming Forums

Physiotherapist

nailer (99 posts) • 0

anybody? my friend has been told by her 'doctor' that she'll need surgery for lower back pain. ridiculous.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +2

I cured my back pain myself. Back pain has become a hot topic at the moment. Doctors are now realizing that pain killers provide little relief and can be addictive. They now recommend exercise. I also read that there are almost no cases that surgery has shown to improve, you are right to think it is not needed.
A few years ago I had crippling back pain, but I found an old (1970s) YMCA back exercise video program, for back pain sufferers. It started really gently, and I had noticeable improvement in 3 days and a big improvement in a week. I no longer have the video, but there are several videos on youtube.
From my own experience I recommend exercise highly.

nailer (99 posts) • +1

Tigertiger, yep certain exercises are whats needed. I was a mess with back pain last year. Had about 5 sessions with a physio, he taught me what i needed to do. after about6 weeks i felt great. I need to do the exercises regularly though.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

You don't really need a physio. The exercises in the videos are so low impact that you cannot harm yourself. I would point your friend to the videos, and if she does not speak English, you can help her until she can follow the vids on her own.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

Tigerbalm is good for alleviating pain, but does not cure the underlying problem, which in the vast majority of cases is muscular.

Related forum threads

Login to post