GoKunming Forums

In need of understanding

Chichi1999 (9 posts) • 0

I've been here almost a year now and still several things puzzle me. Perhaps some of you can help me with your abundant knowledge.

1- Is there any practical driven test or just written? Or Chinese just demand a permit on line? Test only for foreigners?

There seems to be no rules for driving here: i.e. No use of seatbelts, no children seats, free use of mobiles while driving, kids with heads up the roof of the car.....
2- Chinese have no self preservation instincts or their heads are so hard they don't need

helmets?

3- Why so much body hair??! (I've seen ladies at the sport club) Why? Why?

4- 60kph on the highway?? Seriously?

5- is the internal heat thing limited to Asians?

Thanks

Alien (3819 posts) • +2

Body hair might have to do with the lack of any strong cultural feeling that there shouldn't be any. One might ask why there is so little in places where it's thought that body hair is bad.
Internal heat is largely limited to buildings located north of the Yangzi River.
I think there are a few driving rules but many of them are not enforced.
I find that lots of self-preservation goes on among Chinese, tho if you're talking about safe automobile transport, it is aided largely by the fact that drivers in China don't usually drive all that fast. Numerous other possible self-preservation tactics are not so regularly employed.
Note that 9 or so years ago in Kunming there were very few drivers of private cars, and so the learning process is less than finished. Drivers now are individually a bit better, on average, I think, but the lousy growth in road traffic has brought, and does bring, further problems.
Do your part and get yourself one of those public bicycles, ride the bus, walk, etc.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I will try and answer the questions that I have knowledge of.
Answering using your numbering.
1. There is a practical driving, and theory test that all Chinese must complete. People with a full driving licence from other countries only need to complete the theory test.

I am not sure how foriegn drivers without a full licence proceed as driving courses here are long, expensive, and in the Chinese language.
There are many laws, but few are enforced. As for kids and sliding roof, I did not see anything about that in the test.

2. Lack of awareness of the true dangers. There are many examples of this, on and off the roads.

3. I am not sure what you mean. Body hair on Chinese or Caucasians? Chinese women by comparison with most Europeans are not hairy.

4. Slow drivers on the highway, are probably new drivers, or new to the highway. Slower is not always safer though.

5. Not sure what you mean. If you mean that Asians seem to suffer from the cold weather, because they lack some internal body heating mechanism, that is what I perceive about the Chinese at least.

vicar (817 posts) • +1

@Chichi1999 the Chinese are probably just as bewildered by you.

Why do you drive constantly looking in your rear view mirrors in such a cautious fashion when the rest of us are trying to be aware of in front? Why do you wear a helmet, preventing hearing and sight of your surroundings? Why do you drive so quickly on worn out highways. Why is your nose so big? Why do you smell wierd? Why are you looking at me like I'm a complete twat?

TAEYEON (9 posts) • 0

Personal answers

2- Chinese have no self preservation instincts or their heads are so hard they don't need
helmets?

Cause no one does it, I know I should wear one but...well...I'll regret it if something happens but I just can't be bothered.

3- Why so much body hair??! (I've seen ladies at the sport club) Why? Why?

Cause it's their body and those body's aren't put on this earth to entertain your eyes maybe? I'll shave when I want to and I'll enjoy the hell out of my sports class with my unshaven legs. Can't be bothered if they'll be covered up the rest of the day anyway.

Chichi1999 (9 posts) • 0

Thanks to all for your messages.

Sethos88 I am not German, but I'm European, if that is supposed to mean something.

TAEYEON there are things one wishes not to ever witness: Two naked women blow drying their public hair while "combing" it at the entrance of the changing room is one of those. Indeed it was not entertaining at all....it was just there and unavoidable

!

I do not want to judge their habits, after all, I'm just a guest in their country. My intention is more focused on the understanding.

What they do is their problem, if they don't give a cent about safety bothers me only if they decide to commit suicide in front of me to collect money.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Chichi: your story about the changing room: being male I rarely get to enter women's changing rooms, but I've never heard that the practices you mentioned are widespread, so the explanation may not have to do with specifically Chinese attitudes at all - if it does, I don't understand it either. However, above you mentioned 'so much body hair' - now I'm not surre what you're referring to.

Related forum threads

Login to post