GoKunming Forums

Leaving China

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Recently I have seen several ads for people selling (old timers here, not 1 yr students) things because they are leaving China. I would really like to hear the reasons why people are leaving because I also am nearing the point where I am looking for greener pastures.

My time in the Marines had me moving every 3-4 years so I am accustomed to pulling roots up and setting up shop elsewhere. I have been in China for 13 years now (Yunnan 11) and I have long had the itch to move on.

For my wife and I, work (income) is not an issue. The important thing for both of us is if we can get long term visas to stay in country for an extended period of time without much hassle. Not leaving any time soon (1-2 years later) but just interested in reasons why others are moving on.

Considering India or Cambodia or even Ecuador as possible sites for relocation. Ecuador (Vilcabamba) has a huge expat community and the US dollar is the official currency. My main reason for leaving is that I have been in China too long. We will eventually make our way back to China in years to come. Would really be interested in reasons why some other folks are moving on.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I hear ya'. I too would like to move to another place (not financially ready yet) because China has become stale for me. I would like to maybe live in China 3-6 months out of the year. I wonder how Thailand would be as a second home.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I have tried the part time lifestyle but it is a real hassle maintaining 2 homes. In the end you are neither here nor there and you wind up going back and forth for some reason or other.

For me, moving is a means of expanding my travel perimeter and the last thing I want to do is come back where I started.

I am looking for a permanent move for a few years outside of China. I like that word - Stale or Stagnant - describes how I feel here in China for so long.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

despite the great climatge, if stale=chinafatigue, then yes. no sense of peace, lack of courtesy and respect, few real frienships as everybody seems to want something, feeling isolated. shi;tty employers wanting eveer more for the same shltty pay as 10years ago. feeling less secure.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

My departure from China two years ago was neither planned or wanted. I was happy and comfortable in Kunming. I was without income for four years but found I could still live well.

Degraded health now makes a return highly unlikely. I live well in the US but miss the people, culture, sights, sounds, foods of China I experienced in my 12 years there.

I accept the hand I've been dealt but still think about Kunming and my trips around China.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

It is good to hear positive reviews of Kunming, Yunnan, and China. I feel the same way but I am feeling restless and feel it is time to move on.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Have long felt that a considerable spell in India is a good head reorientation for those who have spent a lot of time in China - 2 nations with the cultures that embody some 40% of the human species.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Ecuador received good reviews for expats to live but if your wife(my doesn't) doesn't speaks English and no Spanish she's doomed. Ha.ha. I would think India is very dirty and unsafe, no?

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Learning languages is a good idea if you plan to stay more than 6 months or so.

Point is, India and China together constitute much of the planet, which is a place that I've always felt is worth learning about. Anyway, English is one of the 2 most important Indian languages.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

My wife speaks english well (English major) and she can easily learn Spanish while we are there. It is my turn to be the translator until she can communicate on her own.

The 3 languages with the most speakers - English, Spanish and Chinese.

Related forum threads

Login to post