GoKunming Forums

Economy and Society

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

@Alien - that was one of the clearest and best argued posts I've ever read by you.
However, Napoleon is also right - in historical terms, the Japanese invasion/occupation and associated atrocities/war crimes (esp Nanjing) are quite fresh in the mind. There are probably a few Japanese soldiers involved in those acts that are still alive today, though they will not be alive much longer. Never has a large country had such humilation as China did in the C19th and early C20th. After China helped the Allies in WW1, it was decided to give German concessions in China not back to China, but to Japan. Japan obviously liked owning China and decided it should own it all.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

No argument, Haali, although I think considering nations as persons - such language is almost universal in media, books and speech everywhere - distorts reality and simply promotes nationalism, and promotes the behavior of blaming every citizen of a country for the actions of those who rule it.

zhudan (204 posts) • 0

China has the most billionaires in the world I read. But I mostly see grannies digging in trash cans and business geniuses selling doufu cubes.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Get your eyes checked and your brain altered. However, I agree about the billionaire problem, here and anywhere.
Perhaps it's time to leave.

zhudan (204 posts) • 0

There is an industrious dwarf in my neighborhood. He sells potted plants on the sidewalk. Lot of that too. I bought a couple off him. Hope I wasn't exploiting him since he was a dwarf. But now when he sees me he waves at me. I guess we bonded. It puts a smile IN my face to contribute to this robust economy and make a cuddly little friend at the same time.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Not a good sign: China Has a $590 Billion Problem With Unpaid Bills

"It now takes about 83 days for the typical Chinese firm to collect cash for completed sales, almost twice as long as emerging-market peers. As payment delays spread from the industrial sector to technology and consumer companies, accounts receivable at the nation's public firms have swelled by 23 percent over the past two years to about $590 billion, exceeding the annual economic output of Taiwan."

www.bloomberg.com/[...]

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

Once you've entered into this sort of market oriented society it's a pattern of boom and bust. No one has made a fail proof system yet. Not the Yanks, not the Europeans, not the Japs. And if it goes as some are saying here, not the Chinese.
All that's happened is they will have followed the pattern set before them.

Nothing to panic about. Although I'm no expert. If I was I'd be typing this from my big Wall Street office.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

National systems are merely subsystems of the global system, which is indeed far from failproof. Ultimately, all systems always fail, and all must, and do, evolve. The one we've got may well not evolve in a direction that anybody wants, and may well self-destruct.

Related forum threads

Login to post