GoKunming Forums

Baking in home oven

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

So we finally got around to purchase a small 40L electric oven to bake with.

Our first test was with a type pancake with following simple ingredients:

- eggs
- milk
- wheat flour
- butter (melted to liquid)
- sugar and salt

These are mixed together and the dough (which is more liquid than dough actually) is poured on a sheet-covered baking tray, and into the oven until ready,

I have done this back home and expected certain result.

While the taste and texture was OK, to my surprised the dough expanded quite a bit while in the oven.

Now I am uncertain whether to attribute this to some additives in the flour, or something else like the altitude of Kunming.

Google translate gives following ingredients in the flour that we used:

- wheat flour
- food additive
- flour quality treatment agent
- starch
- vitamin C
- tricalcium phosphate
- xylanase
- glucose oxidase

Anyone here with knowledge which, if any, of these additives could cause the dough to expand?

And if anyone happens to know locally purchasable wheat flour with nothing but absolutely necessary additives, info about that would be most welcome.

Basically looking for something suitable for pizza etc.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

What you have been using is self-raising flour (That is flour with added baking powder). And it seems to have worked ;-)
For pizza I simply use ordinary flour without any additives. Best is to use the high gluten form. This is sometimes indicated on the packaging but can be determined as well because of its high protein percentage. High gluten is around 11%. You find lots of low gluten flour in China which is used for steamed buns etc. They are low gluten and have protein percentages typically below 10%.
Cheapest place is Walmart which now as offers for 5Kg for below 20 kuai.

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

Pancakes in an oven? Surely you jest.

I think Lemon Lover is right. Also you could try a higher temperature and a physically or consistency-wise thinner dough for a crispier/less self-raising result.

If I recall correctly, I believe Ian's famous DT bar pizzas with crispy Italian-style crusts are done at 300 degrees celsius.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Lemon: Thanks that was useful information. We'll find plain flour.

Voltaire: Google for "oven pancake" for examples :) What you said about higher temperature may help too, unfortunately our oven maxes out at 250 and that's what we used for the pancake.

Will see how it works for pizza.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Lemon lover has it.
There are usually two types of flour in China. Mostly you will find dumpling flour (plain) and baodzi flour (self raising). Because of the altitude SR flour rises a lot more than some expect. For reference, most of it comes in a plastic flour bag/package with pictures of dumplings or buns on the front.

However, as mentioned, Walmart also do plain four (in paper bags/packaging). There are two varieties, low protein (gluten) and high protein. These are easiest to use. I have found that the high protein variety is not quite high enough for a decent loaf.

ricsnapricsnap (193 posts) • 0

I buy wheat and wholewheat flour in Metro. It's organic, Beidawang branded and comes in paper box a bit smaller than the size of a box of cornflakes. It's somehow pricy, but worth it. (around 50, I don't remember well). The label says there's nothing else than wheat inside.
I saw a short supply also sold at that new shopping center near Baiyun subway, on Beijing road.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

The decent loaf Tigertiger is speaking about is what we are used to when we buy a loaf in the shop. These loaves are made with additives called "Bread improver" and this combined with techniques and ovens that surpass our amateur skills.
"Real" (Your own made) bread is not as fluffy as factory bread but easily outdoes it in taste, especially here in China where all bread is sweet and characterless. If you want factory bread then go to a shop and buy it. Don't try to make it yourself. (The French Café has good bread but it is pricy).
You can buy Bread improver here as well and add it. (Angel Yeast Co. Ltd 1Kg bags at Metro). (Mantou improver in small sachets works as well and is sold at various shops).
Whole-wheat flour is sometimes sold at the Wicker Basket. Adding 20% of this to plain flower already gives a much healthier bread. Carrefour sometimes sells wheat bran which, when added to plain flower, mimics whole-wheat flower.
I add all kind of additional things as well to get various flavors like:
Oatmeal.
Buckwheat (Originally from Yunnan).
Cooked rice (White, brown and red).
Sunflower seeds.
Line seed.
Flax seed.
Hemp seed.
Sesame seed.

Special bread can be made with raisins, nuts, dried mango slices and olive flakes.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I can now get a descent loaf, without bread improver. I did start out using them, but now know how to get a decent loaf without them.

I found that the difference in the loaf you get using 12% protein (classed as high gluten) and 13+% protein flours is substantial.

I think all of the high gluten local flours I have used have been in the 11-11.5% range. This includes the local market 'Bread Flour' that they sell in Metro in 2.5kg plastic packs.
By contrast, low gluten flour is about 9%.

Kernalpanx (74 posts) • 0

i know in dali the altitude does affect the rise....i can cut pack yeast about an 1/8 of a teaspoon and rise time by 30 minutes. also add a touch more water as the air is drier at altitude.

Related forum threads

Login to post