GoKunming Forums

Do you feel threatened and frightened in Kunming?

RealDeal (48 posts) • 0

I am not so much looking for statistics or arguments. I just want to take an informal poll. When you walk down the average street on the average day in Kunming as a foreigner, do you generally feel safe, or threatened and frightened? Also, why do you feel the way you do?

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

I do not feel safe at all. As I am sitting here typing, I'm worried about the radiation that coming off of my LCD screen. I am worried that the apartment I am living in might collapse without warning due to poor construction standards. When I walk down the street I am frightened by the numerous law breaking motorized and non-motorized vehicles out on the road. When I sit down at a restaurant, I am worried about the adulterated cooking oil from the gutter that might be present in my food. When I shop at Wal-mart, I'm afraid that the beef I am buying is not really beef at all and is instead, mule meat, the milk I buy might be laced with melamine.

Why do I feel the way I feel, because it was reported on Chinese media. And we all know if one person says it, it's true for everybody, right? Such as when one foreigner states they have a craving for western foods, it means that all westerners in Kunming eats nothing but McDonald's and hates all Chinese food.

RealDeal (48 posts) • 0

You should all be ashamed of yourselves: grown-ass men, acting like little children, and literally ruining people's business (Go Kunming is a business).

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

@FakeDeal, at the bottom of each page, you'll see the following:

"GoKunming is the online resource for Yunnan Province and its capital city, Kunming...as well as incredibly active user-generated classified and forum sections. "

I don't see how it is ruining GoK's business? If anything, it's helping by increasing its traffic and hence, it's visibility and bottom line.

And let's not forget about the following gems that is ALSO NOT hurting GoK's business:

===================
Kink/BDSM Play Partner:
I fantasise about receiving and I'm looking for someone to give.
————————————————
Before You Leave Kunming...
As a last hurrah, a one-time adventure, an opportunity of chance, or a dream fulfilled, I want to invite you to meet me for an evening of romance and fun. You set the terms and conditions, and, if I agree, we make it happen before you leave Kunming.
————————————————
birthday fun
I'm a pretty ad sexy Chinese woman of 34 year old and living in shanghai with my boy friend and I'm coming for my birthday in kunming and I want try threesome
===================

BTW, I am truly interested in the results of your poll and would be deeply disappointed if you do not share your analysis of the final poll.

Oh, and thank you for using the word "ass". I'm sure that is also not harmful to GoK's business.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

@RealDeal: In general, no. In fact, it's a pretty welcoming place overall.

There are a few areas/situations I do try to avoid. Kundu has had some nasty situations with foreigners getting jumped by drunken clubgoers. Other bar areas known for cheap drinks by the dozen should also be avoided in general, unless with a group of friends.

Other than that, it's much safer than most Western cities.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Things happen in Kunming, but to classify the place as 'dangerous', when compared to many other places I've lived and visited, strikes me as ridiculous.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

I'm going to run the gauntlet to the supermarket now. Hope no one says hello to me or hacks me to death.

Wish me luck.

Related forum threads

Login to post