GoKunming Forums

Would you accept 150RMB/hour ?

SpartansSpartans (184 posts) • 0

Why are some schools still insisting on paying only 150 an hour?

Some will even propose 100RMB. Aren't they aware of the rising housing and food prices?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Why do you think the same school advertise here over and over? They can't get and keep good teachers for the salary they are paying. The cost of living in Kunming has gone way up in a few years. Why are they still paying 100-150 per hour? Because they can get away with it. Notice that their tuition has gone up but they pay Chinese and foreign teachers crap salaries.

BTW, when I first came here they were paying 80 to 100 RMB per hour. That was back in 2006.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Define crap salary? Cause the average starting salary for a Chinese college grad in Km is 2500-3000 monthly. You guys making less?

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Ok, then what should I be comparing an English teachers salary level to? Lawyer? Doctor? Police Captain?

@ALexKMG
Now you're being an ass. If you're happy with getting paid 100 RMB or 150 then go for it.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I'm sorry if you have taken this personally. I don't teach, so these seem like valid questions.

Is Km underpaid relative to say Chengdu or Guiyang?

Are English teachers underpaid relative to say a native college graduate?

I'd make the same line of inquiries about a person teaching Chinese in the USA.

And honestly, if your main concern is making money teaching English, then you need to work in Beijing or Shanghai and do the rat race.

Related forum threads

Login to post