GoKunming Forums

L-visa extension

Kaixin (6 posts) • 0

Hi guys,

I arrived in China 3 weeks ago. My Chinese visa expires in a week and I want to extend it for 30 more days (I have my return ticket for the 6-th of August). I've read in previous thread that a new visa is usually done in 7 days but these 30 days start counting from the day you applied (not when you have received it). It means my second visa will expire a week before my flight. What shall I do? take a risk and apply at the last day of my old visa or apply now and change my flight dates?

Did anybody have similar situation or any updated info?

I'll be really grateful for your answers.

Jjodiyl (20 posts) • 0

Yes, if you are holding a tourist visa, you are still entitled to extend it for one more period ie.30 days, and it is counted starts from the day you apply. In your case i think you need to change your flight date because it still falls beyond the validity of your visa date even you extended it for 30 days.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I think Jjodiyl is correct, but you might try going by the visa office and simply telling them your problem, showing them your air ticket - doubt if it will work, but you will lose nothing by trying.

Kaixin (6 posts) • 0

that one week is important not only because of the flight ticket.. What are the chances of their understanding if I show up the last day or the day before and be very nice and explain the situation? Is there any option to get visa extension the same day you apply if you pay a bit more?

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I don't know but my understanding is that they can charge you 500 rmb per day for overstaying a visa.

darkone264 (108 posts) • 0

I have extended my visa the day before of expiry, they will give you a receipt saying you are getting a new visa, this can be used to check into hotels and if the police stop you, they give you 7(?) days with the receipt while you are waiting. when you get your visa back it will be active from the day you submitted your passport, buying you 30 days. it is impossible to extend that visa again even in HK, if that doesn't get you to august 5th then you MUST change your date. if you over stay you will be fined and possible barred re entry for up to 10 years (10 years is rare for this case)

Kaixin (6 posts) • 0

Guys, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, ideas and experience! It helped me a lot to make the decision and feel less anxious!:)
Darkone264, your informamtion is really valuable, that's exactactly what I've been wondering about. Thanks once again!

Soffenoffe (4 posts) • 0

Kaixin, I never had a problem extending my L VISA the day before it expired, or even the day after (but that was a special situation, where I visited two different places in Sichuan and Qinghai to get a visa extension, but in one place the computers were broken and in the other they didn't have electricity, and I did what I could to get to another visa extension office as soon as possible). I've done it many times, but always in smaller towns though, like Pu'er, Deqin or Dali, a few times I got it extended twice, and I could always pick it up the same day I handed in the application. I managed to get my double-entry 60 days visitor's visa extended two months last autumn, in Kunming they told me "not possible", but in Pu'er it was no problem at all and I could pick it up the day after.

Kaixin (6 posts) • 0

Thanks! Eventually I went there the day before my visa expired and extended it for one more month without any complications. They gave me a receit that I must keep as a document and I will get my visa in 7 days.

Related forum threads

Login to post