GoKunming Forums

China driving licence

Lightning (15 posts) • 0

There have been many posts on here regarding attaining a Chinese licence, however has any one heard of this one before.
This year my six year old licence was up for renewal, after doing all the required paper work, I went to the local licensing office to renew.
I was stunned and shocked to learn that after the full first year of issue, my licence was deemed invalid.
Reason being, with every licence comes a paper that should be chopped every year after passing a required medical exam.
I did not know of this requirement and I shudder to think that I have been driving illegally for five years. Luckily the issuing officer was very pleasant and said to me that I was not alone in not realising this.
How about you guys, are you aware ?

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

Never heard of this before. My Chinese Edie is having lessons at the moment.....asked her about this....she says it's not the case in Guangzhou

Lightning (15 posts) • 0

But the fact is Hotwater, I passed my test in Kunming and am now in Guangdong where I tried to renew. And that is what the licensing office told me.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

What Licence class do you have? Also did you move your Licence to GD before you tried to renew it?

For bigger vehicles such as truck licenses you need an annual medical check.

Lightning (15 posts) • 0

Licence is for cars only. I contacted KM authorities and asked did I need to send my licence back to them for renewal, their answer was no, can be done in Dongguan.
On a different note, I have an SUV bought and registered in KM, which I drove to Dongguan, where I now live. Trying to re register the car here was a total nightmare and I find it easier to send the car to KM every year to have its annual test and registration.
Its all a bit big brother (ish)

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

@ Lightening. I'll get my wife to double check this on Monday. I'm in Guangzhou & got my licence issued in Qingyuan 4 years ago. My wife was sure you only need the repeat medical once past 60-something. Will push her to check it again.

Lightning (15 posts) • 0

To be honest I am 67, but again age wasn't mentioned. By the way after driving for 50 years, holding in the past a car, motorcycle, bus, articulated vehicle as well as a tracked vehicle line de, I have Never had an accident nor been taken to court in what believe to be 17 countries I have driven in.

I really feel isolated now.

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

Ah, so now we get the full story! That's the problem Lightening. Over 60 here you need a medical every year. Though the "medical" is very basic.

So for the rest of us whippersnappers (I'm 50!) we don't need to worry yet.

Related forum threads

Login to post