GoKunming Forums

China's Wealthy fleeing China

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Three Yunnan big shots didn't bother. Probably wished they had now. They canceled the luxury watch show in Macau. I think if you know any corrupt rich people, this would be a good year to turn them in.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Liumingke - I think you're probably right. If the wealth was not illegally gained they have no reason to run.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

'If the wealth was not illegally gained they have no reason to run.'

I don't think that's true in all cases. Some people just think the grass is greener in other parts of the world . And some people simply don't have much faith in the powers that be. I met a 19 year old who is planning to flee because he thinks things are getting worse here.

Wealth buys the greatest asset of all - freedom.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

not quite true AlPage. There are other reasons to move if you are rich - a clean environment, more civilised society, more agreeable tax regimes. But I agree that many or most rich people get their wealth through means of dubious morality/legality. Wealth concentration is almost always the result of some kind of exploitation.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@Magnifico
That's why I said 80%. If I was rich I wouldn't mind living both in China and the USA or Canada. It's a smart move. Why do you think a lot of the top officials send there kids to Universities abroad. It's not only for the education. It's also for the opportunities.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I thought it was to have a bank account in another country. Which is why government officials with family residing overseas are being monitored and, subject to new rules put in place last year, cannot get promoted.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

i think all of this is unethical and contributing to the lack of true development of the country.

having a second home in another country is ok. enjoy your wealth. but they have a responsibility to use the wealth to improve things here.

how much longer do they need to send kids to study overseas? the schools should have been developed enough here by now to make that unecessary. perpetually developing like a hamster in a cage.

the owner of my place has a house in my mother land. probably a castle. good for him. i prefer to be here in the trenches. with the little people.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

The government thinks they can stop the masses from thinknig for themselves. They always want to act like your parents. That never works out. Even the not so rich are waking up and are seeing that being outside of China will give them hope and maybe a good change.

Related forum threads

Login to post