GoKunming Forums

Bike Stealing in Kunming

walter (48 posts) • 0

Maybe Kunming's traffic and public space issues are perhaps too bad for a public bike system to really work anymore in the middle of town.

However, in some areas like down the canal from the northern part of the city or out to Qiongzhusi from Huangtupo and down Xuefu Lu there could be some better segmentation/enforcement (eg. no diandongche allowed) to encourage cycle-based commuting.

I've had bikes stolen in Jinghong, Kunming, London, Qingdao and Shanghai. I believe the best defence is to keep them in view at all times.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

@Long-Dragon
If your bike is stolen or damaged, you can argue and make mafan. It never helped the Chinese who did it get any recompense. I've never had any problems from the paid bike parking lots, but I use a huge heavy lock. There is also a trick where they steal your nice bike and the attendant is blameless. The thieves drive in with a piece of shit bike, get a parking chit, steal your bike, ride your bike out and return the chit to the attendant. The attendant has no clue it's your bike they leave with.

@tigertiger
I've seen an ayi once riding on one of the KM green cycles. once, never seen another soul ride one since.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

cities should have public bike stations. you pay, take the bike, then leave it at the nearest station.

private mountain bikes and racing bikes can be used for outings outside the city (weekends, etc...)

Sarah Gong (2 posts) • 0

Public bike system is working very well in Zhuhai in past few years. you risgister in the system with your ID card. then get a bike card to check in when you borrow and check out when you return. very convenient. especially around seaside, there are a lot of bike stations so people can enjoy the view by bike whenever and wherever they want.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

zhuhai also has 30km of cycle path around the harbor it is a cycle city. kmg is focused on cars and would not know cycle tourism if it bit them on the ass

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

oh, man! thanks sarah. i didn't realize china had any cycling-friendly cities. i'm moving to zhuhai.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I was in Zhuhai in November. I noticed there was a post in the center of the bike lane so that cars could not sneak in.

Related forum threads

Login to post