GoKunming Forums

Kunming-Altitude Problems

nonthaburial (14 posts) • 0

Have been to Kunming three times over the last six months, and I seem to suffer from shortage of breath and minor headaches. Have others suffered from this and if so how long did it take to acclimatise. I must admit I am not sure if its a physical or mental problem with me.
Any fellow sufferers out there

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

I'm not a doctor, but most people experience 95% acclimatization within the first six weeks, and should be essentially at 100% after six months.

Have you checked your living space carefully for potential air quality problems, such as mold?

nonthaburial (14 posts) • 0

thanks DTM. All the times i have been there I stayed in good hotels so I dont think thats the problem. I work in dry, hot and sometimes humid Thailand at sea level. Am also wondering if the climate as well as the climate may be the problem. However your comments about 6 weeks for 95% acclimatisation indicate that I may not be an isolated case

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Lack of Oxygen is more than likely your problem.

Do you smoke? this makes a big difference for your lungs to absorb O2.
Exercise regularly? this also is a factor for your body to process 02 into your blood..

If it's realy bad you can get 02 tanks or 02 bags at many medical supply stores in kunming.

Aviation rules applied to civil LAW requires oxygen for pilots flying ( in unpressurised aircraft) over 3000 meters MSL ....Kunming is at 1800meters mean sea level.

gbtexdoc (218 posts) • 0

Your nose bleeds are probably from the dry air, not from lack of oxygen. Try using a moisturizing saline solution spray.

tim7175 (20 posts) • 0

I don't think you will ever acclimatize to Kunming air as its 500% polluted over normal ppm. I suggest you go to Dali or Lijiang where air is crystal clear.

andrew1960 (9 posts) • +1

hey mate, as a past resident, it took a little while.
Just do what I did, up early, 3 laps of Green Lake, stop at top of BeiMen Jie for some dumplings for brekky, and you are good to go!!
I miss Kunming..
Andrew in Australia

Related forum threads

Login to post