GoKunming Forums

Extreme warning: children balloons

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

For those (parents) who don't know this yes:
A lot, if not most children / figure / party balloons using gas to keep it floating, use hydrogen gas. A single cigaret can make them explode into a giant ball of fire.

Because hydrogen is very dangerous it is illegal, but easier to make / get. So please beware if you decide to hire a party caterer or buy gas for your children's parties.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Is this from first-hand experience or hearsay?

Can you confirm whether or not hydrogen is in fact, being used instead of helium?

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

Hell, I'm glad it's not first-hand experience.
My wife said there's a lot of information in the Chinese press with some serious cases (in the past) of children getting injured (maybe even death).
I don't want to see the images or articles, thanks.

That's why you do see vendors occasionally, but don't see a lot of balloons and children with balloons.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

sorry but sounds like one of these urban scare stories. has your wife seen these stor4ies or just heard about these stories int hepress. sounds like a hoax. wait to see if the police swoop on the person who started this unfounded rumour. remember you can also be done for spreading these rumours even if you didn't start them. new law came in last year.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Melamine; infant formula. Hydrogen; balloons. Not inconceivable. Also, that new law wasn't designed for or being enforced against consumer action. It's for political dissidants on weibo.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

There are many vendors around Nanping Jie and at the entrance of parks. The balloons they sell often have the shape of cartoon characters.

Buy one from them and let us know if that's actually true.

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

You guys mean the balloon vendors might be actually selling explosive devices? Does PSB know this? Perhaps another crackdown will be coming.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

I test the kids balloons out by taking a good strong whiff...then chat with them immediately after. Been lucky so far - it's helium.

I don't know WHERE this urban legend came from - but storage and use of hydrogen gas is a BIG no-no because of hydrogen's explosive nature.

On the other side of the coin - the helium gas they use is probably terribly polluted with other gases - but most probably just nitrogen gas (72% of the earth's breathable atmosphere?)...something like that..

Related forum threads

Login to post