GoKunming Forums

Where s Dwarf empire

vale84 (2 posts) • 0

Hi!!!i want to know how to go to the Dwarf Empire, and i m much the price of the ticket. Thanks!!

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

www.gokunming.com/[...]

The Hump hostel advertises a trip there, also Lost garden guest house I think.

If I remember right, it's 80 kuai to get in, half price with student ID. I went a few months ago. There's not much to see there really,except a show performed by the dwarves. It took about 40 minutes to get there by car.

Elisa (174 posts) • 0

Having lived in the Philippines where people with dwarfism can only get jobs in theme places or as jeepney touts, I wholeheartedly support the theme park since they presumably have enough money to live normally after work hours. It's absolutely exploitative, but better than pushing a person to beg.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I don't like Empires in general, but one run by dwarfs could be alright, kinda like Lego Star Wars, or if Napolean had won. If they would dress them up like Hobbits, they could charge Avatar prices.

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

Having seen it on TV they all seem to be happy doing what they do but still not a place that would attract me! Just going to gawk at people with a disability doesn't really rock my boat...

jopasny (184 posts) • 0

I almost feel like I have to go there after finding out about it... In some ways it seemed completely backwards and exploitative when I first heard about it, but now I'm not so sure. There was a short Vice doc where someone went there earlier this year, saw the show, talked to some people there. Of course it's impossible to know whether the actors they spoke with were just sticking to a narrative because they had to or not, but a lot of the people they spoke to seemed relatively happy there. They were essentially saying that outside of the "kingdom" they were just laughed at and ridiculed, and jobs were hard to come by. Here they have room and board, make somewhere around 3000 kuai a month, and run the place. Again, take it all with a grain of salt, but it might not be as bad as we would think.

Sure, back home this would never fly, but we're in fucking China! I say embrace it (respectfully).

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I visited this place a few years ago. The people seem content living with each other. The entrance fee is a bit high but I feel it is for a good cause. The small houses make for some great pictures. I did not see anyone, children or adults, mock or laugh at anyone and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. They do put on a good show and they do have a few very talented people. Thumbs Up! Contribute!

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

I agree with Jopasny.
What kind of life would they have in the very prejudice China? I can't see many companies considering them for employment sadly. So what would they have to resort to doing? Begging on the street?

The guys I spoke to when I was there, seemed genuinely happy about having a well paid job with room and board. Some of them had married too. How easy would it be for them to do this if they lived outside this community? Even to meet others like themselves for friendship must be really difficult.

Related forum threads

Login to post