GoKunming Forums

Teaching English: good books

pineapple (10 posts) • 0

What, in your opinion, are good books to teach kids English? I know there are many different methods and books and since I will be teaching 2 10 year olds, I was wondering if anyone can recommend some books for teaching kids (and where to buy them). It would be greatly appreciated!

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

you can find some books on taobao.com. sorry, haven't used these books, but some of them are from cambridge so should be good.

- esl games for kids
- five minute activities for young learners
- teaching languages to young learners

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I recommend : Junior New Concept English Starter book A and Starter book B. They have a text book and a workbook. This is for Grade 1. It's good for children ages 6-8. I've used it at an elementary school. You can also by the flashcards for each textbook. I order from Taobao.

Another suggestion. If you are going to be teaching long term than you might want to invest in a color printer and a laminator so you can custom make flashcards and games. I find that most schools don't give you much to work with. They're too cheap!

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

I'm not a fan of the New Concept series myself. I prefer the Oxford English series. Lots of content with fun activities in every unit. Ranging from grade 1 through 12.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

New Concept is popular here, because it is what the parents probably used, and they are familiar with it.
However, the world of ESL has moved a long way forward in recent years.

I have found it helps to find age appropriate materials to use. Otherwise a lot of the kids just won't enjoy what they are doing. Don't get me wrong, they will still learn, but...

New Cutting edge isn't bad for teenagers.
BTW McMillan publishing has an agent in China. You can see the catalog that will give you a wide choice of up to date materials. And they have the teacher's books (saves hours) and sometimes activity books.

Pearson Longman also have some good stuff on the website. Even though this stuff may not always be imported to China there is a lot of ripped stuff for sale on Baidu and Taobao.

Shanghai Book Traders (online shop) also have a reasonable selection of up to date materials.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

cambridge produce ONE of the better ones. many are good. pearson produce better AmE books.

Another series that is good is called: All-Star Book
by lee-Sherman-Sloan-Tanaka-Velasco publish by the McGrawHill publishing company.

Related forum threads

Login to post