GoKunming Forums

What types of oils in the jugs of here?

WayoftheSun (52 posts) • 0

Ive been here for awhile, but I still cant establish what kinds of oil the jugs of cooking oil consist of. You know the huge cartons with the yellowish colored oil for cooking? I cant read chinese well enough yet to be able to read the ingredients. Is it sunflower oil or palm oil or something?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

If you mean the 5L plastic containers in the stores, it could be cannola (rape seed), peanut, corn, or a mixture of the above. Most of the other oils only come in smaller containers.
BTW the brown opaque oil is unfiltered canola oil.
If it is pure corn oil it may have a picture of corn on it, if pure peanut, it may have a picture of peanuts on it.

Some brands will even say in English what it is. You could then look for similar Chinese characters on other bottles.

Alternatively, you could do what I sometimes have to do. Go to translate.google.com and translate the words into Chinese, print on a piece of paper and take it to the supermarket to compare characters, or ask a sales person

Can you give any other details.

mmkunmingteacher (561 posts) • 0

There are all different types of oils. You need to read Chinese really. As tigertiger suggested, write down the Chinese, smile, and show it to a store assistant. They will be happy to help you. Good luck!

Elisa (174 posts) • 0

If you have an iPhone, there's an app called waygo that will translate characters that you hover over with your camera. Or you could draw them into Pleco.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Google Translate also lets you do that on your smartphone.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

If scanning a character can be done on the free Pleco app, I have yet to work it out. But I think I read somewhere it is only available on the pay for upgrade version.
But I stand to be corrected.
However, the paintbrush tool, where you write what you see with finger or stylus, is very easy to use.

Krismoonpie (80 posts) • 0

Could also be soybean oil. Photo character translation is also built-in on windows phone in the magnifying glass icon.

Related forum threads

Login to post