GoKunming Forums

Is there anyone with a drink problem?

Flying Horse (12 posts) • 0

Hi there folks, my names name's Bill and I'm a recovered alcoholic living here in Kunming. I'm a member of Alcoholics Anonymous. I haven't needed to take a drink or drug for over 18 years now. The way I stay sober is by trying to help another alcoholic get sober. Usually, I would attend AA meetings, but here in Kunming I'm the only sober member of AA, as far as I know. If you, or if you know of anyone who has a drink problem and would like to do something about it, please lets have a chat. My mobile number is 18669270359. This thing works by one alcoholic talking with another. Before getting sober my life was heading in a downward spiral, now being clean and sober, I have a life beyond my wildest dreams. Oh, by the way, when I ask " has anyone got a drink problem? " I don't mean it for those peps that can't get enough of it. :))

abcdabcd (428 posts) • 0

I'm sober and I've never been a drinker, and I don't have a life beyond my wildest dreams. Maybe I should start drinking.

mmkunmingteacher (561 posts) • 0

Can do we know if we have a problem? As a frequent customers of Sal's, I can say that many of us "front porchers" probably do have a problem! However, we seem to enjoy it.

Hi abcdabcd, thanks for your reply and comments. In fact, I feel so fortunate to be an alcoholic, of course, when I was actively drinking it wasn't so great, but it has allowed me to stumble upon a way of living that's is infinitely more rewarding and meaningful, than if I had not been a drunk. I don't know if you know, but AA was the founder of the now widely used 12 step program. I remember when I was new to AA, I said, "why isn't everyone on this program?" I'm sure the world would be a better place if we were.
Cheers Bill

Hi MM, thanks for your reply. I believe there is a big different between heavy drinkers and alcoholics, a general rule of thumb is to ask yourself the question – is my drinking costing me more than money? My own experience is that I had no control over my drinking, once I took the first one, it was like Russia roulette, I never knew where I was going to end up or what I was going to do, a lot of my drinking and partying was done in black out. Most alkies had lost the enjoyment long before they got to the rooms of AA. It has an affection nickname as "the last chance saloon'. So, if you are not sure if you have a problem, maybe you can ask yourself, if you have control over your drinking or does drinking have control over you? Cheers for now, Bill

abcdabcd (428 posts) • 0

I've heard of the 12 step program, but I didn't know what it was exactly. I just looked it up. And to my surprise, God is mentioned in nearly all the steps.

So AA is a Christian organization?

faraday (213 posts) • 0

hi abcdabcd why dont you start your own thread instead of bastardizing this one for the people who want/need it? gobshite.

abcdabcd (428 posts) • 0

I asked the OP a question that concerns me. Because my question doesn't concern you, I'm supposed to shut up?

And how is my question hindering you from asking the OP whatever you like?

Are you sure I'm the gobshite?

Hi abcdabcd, thanks for your question. The 12 step program is about having a spiritual awakening in order to help you overcome whatever problem you have. It's about you finding a power greater than yourself. The steps use the word God, yes, but it's your own conception of God, - as you understand him. It can be a light bulb if you like, just as long as it makes sense to you. You don't have to believe in anything, but in my experience the people that work the steps are generally happier, than those that don't. The steps were written around 1938, so the language is a little antiquated. The AA fellowship was influenced by the Oxford group, which was a first century Christian movement. The preamble states AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help others to recover from alcoholism. You don't have to believe or do anything to be a member, just have the desire to stop drinking. So no, AA is not a Christian organization.

abcdabcd (428 posts) • 0

Sorry, I'm going to be blunt and this will be my last post on this topic because I realize that there may be people out there who need the services of AA so I don't want to interfere. No need to reply.

AA certainly seems to have a good reputation for helping people deal with alcohol issues. No one can doubt that.

However:
1 - your claim that you have a life beyond your wildest dreams since you joined AA seems like hokey pokey snake-oil salesman gibberish to me.

2 - the 12 steps seem hokey pokey, stupid, creepy and cult-like. a power greater than ourselves is meant to restore us to sanity? so that means you have to admit that you're insane if you join AA? what qualifications does anyone have at AA to deduce the sanity levels of anyone?

you ask "Him" to remove your shortcomings? and if you think God is a light bulb as you mentioned, this means you carry around a light bulb and speak to your light bulb and ask the light bulb to make you less of an a-hole?

sorry but it all sounds stupid and crazy to me. surely there must be a better and more sane way to stop drinking than this stupid creepy stuff?

i'm glad i'm not an alcoholic so i don't have to make the decision to join this strange group with a creepy 12-step program/belief system.

Related forum threads

Login to post