GoKunming Forums

Journalism schools in Yunnan

cyskmg (6 posts) • 0

Hello there KM! I'm looking for a good journalism school in Yunnan. How are Yunnan University and Yunnan Normal University's J-schools? Any contacts? Please holler! Thanks!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

There is a special Journalism school in Kunming, on Hong Ta Xi Lu. However, I think it would only be open to nationals. If you want a good journalism school I might suggest studying somewhere that has freedom of the press as part of its culture.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

My impression is that Chinese journalists are mostly just taught how to quote or paraphrase government press handouts. It's rumored (perhaps apocryphal) that some who have gone study abroad are quite baffled by their classes & have to ask their professors how they could know what to write.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

I worked for a company that had a news section. And let me say that working for a Chinese news agency if not independent and free, will only put obstacles in you career path. The news anchor told me that he got a lot of offers from TV stations etc. But if he ever wanted to work back in GB in a respected news agency or station he couldn't take the offer. I guess it is similar with a journalism degree although there are great journalists in China they either have to follow protocol or risk their lives or careers as seen last week with the reporter writing bout zoomlion.
So getting your degree in HK or cosscareerfrom a writing,media or language degree as many journalists do, would be safer option.

Related forum threads

Login to post