GoKunming Forums

Guandu Shaolin Temple

ShaolinDan (12 posts) • 0

Yay! I can post links now.

Chris, if you go to the kung fu magazine forum, I have a thread about the Guandu Shaolin Temple there and also a thread called "In Kunming," which talks a lot about my kung fu related experiences in Kunming in general.

It's very hard to find a comprehensive kung fu program here, I rarely see anyone practicing any partner drills.

I wasn't going to mention it on this thread as I'll only be in Kunming for a couple more months, but I am actually teaching some gongfu (beginner level) myself here. It's free. Monday and Friday 2pm to 3:30 at the park where Ren Min Zhong meets Wu Yi, you'd be welcome to come check it out.

chris8080 (226 posts) • 0

Very nice article, I read it with great interest. OK, if I am not too lazy I will try to come along tomorrow.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

Hi Dan
I went to the school that is close to the crossroad guanfu lu and erji lu they have a big soccerfield as a practice ground. I went to the temple but I was told they don't accept in the temple but I could go to the school. Maybe a monk trying to make a buck to promote the school. but since it is (was) the same policy in the Henan one and I didn't really care, since I just wanted to get back into Martial Arts.
For me it was evenings, and I could just pop up there whenever I wanted and we would do a bit jibengong and teach me a taolu, or refresh in my case.

I like the place, it has everything Shaolin has but less the bullcrap. Be aware though that Shaolin is a trademark and big business since the abbot of Shaolin & MBA (or pig as the foreign students in Shaolin Henan call him) Something something Yen or Yan...somethin,- took over there, turning it into a martial arts Disneyland

So if you in for kungfu, you are fine but if buddhism is yu thing, Shaolin may not be the best spot for you.

I think and agree with you temple or school is both great and a good (but far away) address to practice martial arts, sanda is available too.
So it is getting my approval, for anyone that cares.

Hey Dudeson's,

Thanks for the info. That's really interesting, I'll try to check it out next time I go to the temple. It's strange for sure, I know I got a little bit of a red carpet treatment there since I came in as a representative of Kung fu Tai Chi Magazine, but I'm surprised they didn't even mention the school during the interview...
Anyway, I'll look into it.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

I really like the place and the school is great, too.
The coaches are really good at least the one I had. They not just teach repetition but also explain the application, if you bother to ask.
It's too far away from my place, to go and practice there twice a week for two hours.

But if you live closer, I can really recommend it. It gives a nice little color in a taiji and taekwondo heavy grey. No offence I like all martial arts but a bit more variety is nice.

Jia You, Dan! :)

HI Habanero,

Sorry, but I haven't heard anyone mention hung gar here. It's a big city and I'm sure someone knows it, but I don't know about schools.

Chinese styles that I'm aware of here are Taiji, Tongbei, Xingyi, Bagua, Shaolin, Modern Wushu, and Sanda.

There are several non-Chinese martial arts available as well: karate, taekwondo, judo, boxing, brazilian ju jitsu...
Of all these styles the Shaolin would have the most in common with Hung gar, but sometimes different is a good thing.
Good luck!

Hey Ryan,
Sorry for the late response...don't check in much now that I've left Kunming.

Sha Wushu offers sanda classes which I think would be decent for a beginner, but if you have previous experience with sanda/sanshou you will probably be disappointed.

I was studying some sanda while I was training at the Guandu Shaolin Temple with monk Shi Heng Bo. He's a good, enthusiastic teacher, with decent skills and a hands-on training approach. Best kung fu teacher I managed to find in Kunming. The downside is the commute and the lack of a class full of training/sparring partners.

Good luck.

Related forum threads

Login to post