GoKunming Forums

Any idea about where to learn decent Chinese in Dali

shougudan (3 posts) • 0

HI guys !!

I am going back to Dali in about a week or so !

Do you guys have any advices about a good teacher

or where and how to find a reliable one ?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Advice.

If you want Standard Chinese/Mandarin/Putonghua.
Find someone who has taken the degree, teaching Mandrin as a foriegn language. This is a degree offered in most Normal Universities. This would mean that the teacher has been taught the basics of how to teach, and they will use Putonghua and not local dialects.

If you want local Dali/Yunnan Hua.
Find a local Chinese English teacher. He/she will understand your L1 and will be know how to teach language.
Try to find someone with experience teaching foreigners.

Or get a local gf/bf, English speaking is not essential. My buddy learnt a lot from a gf with zero English. It gave him the will and incentive.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

When you get back Dali, try putting up a job advert, asking for a teacher. See who applies and then vet. Places to advertise, supermarket, and some bars.
Also try asking the guys at the Hump, and the other hotels/hostels with foriegn management. The latter are easy to find on the hotel booking websites. Some of these guys may be able to point you in the direction of a suitalbe teacher. The other expats running bars may also be able to help with some contact names.
There is also a uni campus there, that tries to run English courses. I am sure that the teachers would be open to some freelance work. You could ask to attend a free demo class, and then give the teacher your contact details, quietly.

CuteJing (1 post) • 0

Hey, shougudan, I'm Jing. Just arrived Dali for 10 days. Before that I was teaching Chinese in Thai for 10 months .I have some experiences of teaching foreigners and very good standard Chinese. If you want to learn Chinese with me, you can email me : fengzhengtou1990@gmail.com

Related forum threads

Login to post