GoKunming Forums

New toddler in the house.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

We have a new family member, about two and a half years old, just joined out happy throng. He is Chinese, and I am the foreigner. I will understandably be expected to contribute to his education. How can I help introduce him to English in a domestic setting?

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions to share?

ekoorbr (50 posts) • 0

Just speaking English to the toddler and addressing him as you would a kid that age might suffice. When you say, "Wow, you stacked five blocks! Let's see if you can do six," the kid will get it pretty quickly and will start replying, as long as you see the child often enough and have a good relationship. If you really want to be stringent about it, you can follow the one-parent(caretaker)-one-language approach and insist that the child address you in English as well.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@Danmiren, what details will help?

@ekoorbr, the wee lad and his parents are living with us and so there will be constant contact until he starts school, sometime next year.

ekoorbr (50 posts) • 0

Well, then, enjoy the time together! Kids that age are lots of fun in small doses. In "constant contact," they're doubtlessly even moreso.... Anyway, it can be an interesting learning experience for both of you.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

Those kinds of details. I figured you might have adopted a kiddo :) Might just go for some bilingual training. Speak English to him all the time, teach him the important verbs, nouns and relevant sentences in English. Our toddler is 1.5 years old and me and my wife speak two different language to him,, they're like sponges at that age, and it's actually fairly easy for them.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Depending on the boy and without trying to be overly stereotypical - men typically bond through activities, sports, etc. Suggest teaching through sports activities.

Related forum threads

Login to post