GoKunming Forums

blind Er Hu busker with wife with no arms

blinky (3 posts) • 0

Hi

I'm new to Kunming. After I arrived I saw a blind er hu busker near the zoo. His wife (I guess) was sitting next to him. She had no arms.

I'd like to get in touch with him as I think he's a great player and want to ask him if he will teach me to play.

That was about 3 weeks ago and I haven't seen them since then.

For those of you who've lived here many years, could you tell me if they are Kunming residents? Have they been playing here for many years? As I haven't seen them recently, I'm wondering if they were perhaps just passing through Kunming.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

No doubt your heart is in the right place, but I would be very careful. Very, very careful.
You do not know if they are part of a network, essentially owned by someone. As there are two beggars with disabilities working together, this is more likely. If he has moved on, he may not be a neighbourhood needy case.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@dazzer is trying to delicately say, you don't know if they're part of a CRIMINAL network. Beggar crime syndicates are extremely well known and deeply entrenched in Chinese culture and societies. If you're willing to expose yourself and or your loved ones to some potentially seriously evil people - can't be helped.

If you live near cuifu - there's plenty of music stores that can also teach you fundamental erhu skills, in addition to selling you the variety of erhus available. Not particularly charitable, but considerably less risk to the good-hearted, well intentioned, but naive and inexperienced.

If you still feel charitably motivated - bring an erhu instructor to teach you at one of Yunnan's orphanages or schools for the handicapped and indigent. Seed the "music" department of places struggling to provide food, clothing, and shelter. Maybe even get corporate sponsorship (from say a branded erhu manufacturer)...

blinky (3 posts) • 0

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

Not really charitable - I've spent five years in China and Taiwan and know an exceptional erhu player when I hear one, and wanted to ask him if he would teach me. I teach guitar myself so don't usually associate it with the underworld but you guys could be right.

Still, if anyone knows the guy, where his usual patch is or whether he's an old timer in Kunming or someone who just passed through, I'd appreciate any info.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Several years ago there was an Erhu player around Kunming who had some plastic bags around his legs and was partly handicapped. But he was not blind, at least in those days. The tunes were amazing. He used to be at old bird & flower market, already long ago, when the thing was still in full harmony. You walked past him, and then had to slow down, as the tunes just bore into you. During the years we became casual friends, and I was even about to try to record his tunes. But there was never time, and I only came across him occasionally. I saw him about a year ago near Cuihu. Could it be the same man? Did he have plastics wrapped around the legs? If so, Id say you can trust him fully and he must be one of the most touching erhu players Yunnan has got. Judging by the tunes, his story likely would make a topic for a book too.

kmting (36 posts) • 0

There is a great erhu player that plays most evenings at Cuihu, normally around the south gate but I've seen him at different parts of cuihu. He usually plays with an awful backing CD but he is seriously good. He's often there around 8-9. Certainly has no maffia connections .. haha

Related forum threads

Login to post