GoKunming Forums

Bus to Laos

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

From the South Bus Station - Luo Si Wan - I recommend you do Not go in a sleeper bus as they are Not clean and there is a lot of stealing on the sleeper buses. If you have time you can break it up and enjoy the trip and stop in Mojiang, Puer, then Jinhong, then take the bus to Mengla.

www.hugoyunnantravel.com/des_laos.asp

Sundancer (38 posts) • 0

Great information I am going to use it, stop along the way but still do you know how far in advance I can buy tickets, plan on leaving January 15 and got caught once in Nanning with no way home because the trains were full.

Sundancer (38 posts) • 0

Great information I am going to use it, stop along the way but still do you know how far in advance I can buy tickets, plan on leaving January 15 and got caught once in Nanning with no way home because the trains were full.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

During the holidays they usually cut the time from 5 days in advance to 3 days in advance because so many people are travelling. This is why I suggest the shorter legs where it is easier to purchase tickets on the same day of travel.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I saw somewhere that the total cost for the bus ride to Laos is 800 RMB. And a few weeks back, I saw a flight to Laos for just over 1000 RMB. Now, the prices have gone up. But the point is that if your schedule is flexible and you book in advance, you may be able to get a flight not much more expensive than the bus ride.

Sundancer (38 posts) • 0

I was going to get a flight then decided on the bus because it was around 250. I should have bought the flight=this really s....ks

Sundancer (38 posts) • 0

I just read that the long distance bus terminals have moved and the time frame for buying tickets is 7 days or buy online 2 days in advance and then go to the bus terminal. They have all moved outside the city.-where is the go kunming listing?

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Sundancer, I just checked Ctrip.com. There are some very cheap flights to Jinghong in Xisuangbanna (220 RMB all incl.) because it's not an international flight. You can consider flying there and then taking a bus to Laos. It seems like it won't be much more expensive.

pickley (17 posts) • 0

The bus from Kunming to Vientiane costs 436 yuan. I've done the bus a few times. It's really really horrible but it's cheap. It's something around 35 hours and it's non stop. The beds are uncomfortable and small. You can buy the tickets at the station or from a travel agent somewhere. If you go with a friend it's slightly better, don't go for the back seats because they will pick people up and you'll end up sleeping side to side with some snoring farmers.

Related forum threads

Login to post