GoKunming Forums

Ear wax!

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Sorry, gross subject I know. But I have a friend (...OK, yes, it's me) who has a build up of earwax. In the UK I occasionally get this removed with a high-powered water gun thing, but in Kunming, people seem to opt for horrific-looking sticks or melted wax!? Has anybody had either of these procedures? Are they any more dangerous than the "water gun"? Any recommedations of places that would be safest?

crazy.laowai (242 posts) • 0

The sticks work fine, but yes, they are dangerous.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

pouring warm olive oil into the ear is a safe bet. also, i know that there are tablets at the pharmacy to sort it out. depends how serious it is i guess. i know that some people can become almost deaf due to a build up or blockage!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Local earwax is different by the way. Strange but true. More dry and flaky than moist and oily.

I say this as it may effect the treatment you are offered. I had a spoon jabbed into my inner ear once, very painful.

You can get syringes here at most pharmacies. Olive oil is easy.

You may consider having ear drops sent from home. That way at least you know you are getting the right stuff.

mailman (48 posts) • 0

try to find some phyto candles. they can pull a finger's length of wax from your ears. that's the traditional Russian way, though. Not sure if Chinese have equivalents.

b galipeau (48 posts) • 0

I get the same type of build up occasionally which I have to get cleaned out, hereditary from my mom I'm afraid. The last time this happened I happened to be down in Chiang Mai actually and there it seems the hospitals all have standard ENT clinics with the pressure washers. If you really want to be safe about it, Thailand would be a good bet.

The doctor I saw in Thailand was actually pretty funny about the whole thing (though he kind of stereotyped me). When I mentioned I seem to get this problem occasionally and that it comes from my mother he actually then said in his experience wax build ups are a problem for western people but not something he typically saw in Asian patients.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Thanks for all your advice. Glad it's not just my problem! I'll take a trip to the chemist before asking someone to poke anything in there. Cheers.

pbb28 (12 posts) • 0

Do Chinese not use bulb syringes or something? I went to 3 pharmacies and asked for 注射器 which is what my dictionary translates syringe as, and the employees showed me needles. I bought a needle since the top part can be removed and used as a dropper for olive oil/hydrogen peroxide, but it can't be used to flush out the ear with water due to pressure problems.

Man, my ear has been killing me the last 2 days. 80% deaf in the right ear, constant buzzing and mild pain. Maybe I should go to the hospital and risk the weird stick procedure.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

They have syringes.

Go online, download an image of a syringe and a needle and print them off.
Go to the pharmacy, point to the pic of the syringe and say 'wo yao', then point to the needle and say 'wo bu yao'.

This should get you what you need.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I've got the proper ear syringe. I bought it in Canada, but on the bottom it says "Made in China". My Chinese wife didn't know what it was!

Related forum threads

Login to post