GoKunming Forums

Milkshakes

Jared (19 posts) • 0

I have a problem with milkshakes.

Right about now you're probably rolling your eyes. I know I know I know there are probably a million more important topics to discuss than this. Still, as summer approaches I thought I'd take a stab at this to see if anyone else has had the same experience and if any of the restaurant owner-cum-GoKunming readers have any insights.

Basically my problem is that the milkshakes here are too... well... milky.

This afternoon I ordered an Oreo milkshake at Salvador's. I tried as best as possible using my spotty Chinese to explain that I didn't want it to be watery. I asked the server to put a good helping of ice cream in and not overblend it. Needless to say, it came out pretty darn milky. And it created an awkward situation both for me and the server.

Has anyone had the same experience? Is there a way to sort this problem out? Should I say "Ice Cream Shake" instead?

LaoNaiYangYu (27 posts) • 0

No, you're quite wrong - there are no more important topics to discuss than milkshakes.

I've never heard of a milkshake being too milky before. Have you thought about putting some water in it?

The best milkshake in the world is the Wicker Basket's coconut milkshake. If you don't like coconut, the vanilla is almost as good.

Jared (19 posts) • 0

Despite the name, the most important ingredient in a milkshake is ice cream. It's the ice cream that gives a good milkshake a thick consistency. That means you shouldn't be able to stir it too easily with a plastic straw.

So by "too milky" I mean too watery.

Ah, I see, too watery. In that case I have the perfect solution. The Chinese have this magical ingredient called MSG. I believe it stands for Milk Shake Gloop. Just ask them to throw a bit of that in and it should thicken up nicely.

Wocca (20 posts) • 0

Or you could bring your own ice cream along, and drop it in just to demonstrate what you really want done to your beverage of choice.

An interesting variation on Wocca's idea would be to buy an ice-cream and ask them to pour milk over it. Of course, you might want to have a cup handy.

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

Hey Jared, sorry you had a bad milkshake. We try to make sure that our workers understand that our milkshakes need to be thick as possible. But things obviously don't always go as we hope. If you get a milkshake at Salvador's again, make sure that you tell them no milk, or as little as possible. Cheers

Jared (19 posts) • 0

Colin- Some of the other posters seem to be having a good laugh with this one, but I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Related forum threads

Login to post