GoKunming Forums

Vegan Margerine

jonny9 (59 posts) • 0

I don't want to seem preachy, but margarine is a strange and very unhealthy food. Other options for spreading things on bread are flax oil, coconut oil, nut butters or olive oil. For potato, oils work well.
Other options for baking are coconut oil/milk, peanut butter, olive oil, soy milk, etc. Of course butter is healthy as well, if the diet has enough unsaturated fats and no dairy allergy, but butter is obviously not vegan.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Try looking in Metro for the imported products.

There are many. You will also find Japanese brand Suki in most Carrefour. This is, I believe, from sunflower seed.

Olive oil is good for dipping bread. Olive oil is also fine for mashed potato, but you must also use something else to 'wet' the potatoes or it goes plasticised. Most would use milk, but you don't want that. You could try adding soy milk, or water.

JessicaBaker (78 posts) • 0

If the margarine is not hydrogenated it would actually be healthier than butter because of it's lack of cholesteral and saturated fats. I usually use olive oil for stuff and dont use much oil in my food anyways. The reason i want margarine is i am trying to make frosting and i need a solid oil for that. I will look in carrefour next chance i get :). The margarine at metro all had milk in it.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Jessica, I disagree. I think butter is healthier than margarine.

Saturated fats in moderate amounts are essential for health.

Butter is natural. Margarine is chemically processed and therefore detrimental to health.

Haha of course! I know margarine isn't good for you. I just need it to try to make some frosting for my birthday cake :). I don't wan't to credit either butter OR margarine with being healthy in the least but you do know that butter gets a ton of chemical processing now too right? So neither of them are actually natural. I have also never met any one who got too little saturated fats so generally butter is just adding unnecessary amounts. That is just my opinion from what i have heard and researched so it is very possible that i am wrong, I have never really put much thought into it since i was so determined i could make frosting with out a solid fat *sniff sniff* hehe. DONT try it it is gross and slimy. x)

If you want i would love to chat more about this stuff since i am always happy to learn more about foods and what is and isn't healthy and you seem to like looking that stuff up too. :D

You talking to me? I've been trying to figure out how to improve the diet, especially because I need to lose weight. But I'm not vegan, so we'd probably disagree on a lot of things. There's so much conflicting information, actually. It's a bit hard to know exactly what we should and shouldn't be eating.

No one i know is vegan, even my own boyfriend of 4 years, I am used to not agreeing with people heehee x). I do all the cooking for my family and am pretty thin and healthy. If you want to look at my blog you might find some recipes worth trying :). And they can all be "unveganized" if you want to add meat and stuff. I just started it but i post up atleast 4 meals a week and all the calories are written and the ingredients are available here in kunming jessicasveggiediaries.blogspot.com/ (you will need a vpn though)

So ya i am adding new recipes almost every day and they are pretty much all low calorie and healthy if you would want to give them a shot. :)

Yeah, need a vpn because your chocolate chip cookies might cause social unrest. They're THAT good.

Seriously, the recipes look fantastic. Thanks for the link.

Related forum threads

Login to post