GoKunming Forums

Bangladesh

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

@senorBW
Thanks, but too late - I've bought the tickets! Good value at 2200RMB return. It does sound a challenging place, but I'm up for an adventure and keen to get to any nearby "new" country as I'm just 6 off completing my hundredth! Thanks for your advice.

patchi (13 posts) • 0

Ocean, don't worry I think you will have a great time. Dhaka is a busy city and that makes it exciting. I spent three weeks in Bangladesh in 2010 and I met the nicest people ever. People are poor but extremely friendly and helpful. I didn't go with any tour group and although I admit the first days in Dhaka was too overwhelming, I really enjoyed the country. Don't forget to drink the tea from the street vendors, really delicious! Have a nice trip!

crazy.laowai (242 posts) • 0

I went to Dhaka for a week, and had a great time. It is a huge city, and like many places, despite the reputation, the people are very friendly and hospitable. They seem to be almost charmed that a foreigner would go there. You will have a great time!

I was assuming I could get a visa on arrival at the airport in Dhaka (see above), but on calling the Bangladesh Embassy in Beijing today they were fairly insistent that I needed to apply in writing through them. They were evasive about the option of getting a landing permit on arrival. My passport is currently being processed for the new Chinese work visa, so I don't have time to apply through Beijing (I fly 2nd August) . Can anyone confirm that visa on arrival is still happening in Dhaka? Bernie/Crazy Laowai... when did you last go? Was it operating then? Many thanks for any advice/confirmations.

What a mess. Thanks for the links AlexKMG. I'll update this thread once I've been let in or kicked out!

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Lonely planet has info dated only two weeks old. Let's hope fellow travelers got it right. Also, why would Bangladesh turn down $51 USD!

Yes, LP seemed very up-to-date. And the official position "we like people to get the visa in advance" is probably not tha practical position "if someone turns up at the airport without a visa....". Fingers crossed!

Related forum threads

Login to post